German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere (forgot where) that eating a lot of snow can give a dog diarrhea. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
:confused:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
My dogs eat a ton of snow and I have noticed no problems of any kind.

·
5,627 Posts
I need to get video of Kaiser running around eating the snow! It's the funniest thing. I come home every Monday to a note from the dog walker that says "Kaiser ate lots of snow today" (he just scoops it up as he walks along). He always seems to pick the fresh looking snow and I haven't noticed any problems from it.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
snow...no. snow with salt/de-icer in it...yes.

:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rommel eats a ton of snow when we are out playing and has never had a problem. It's just frozen water, not sure how that would harm him.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I think the problem is if they eat snow that has bird poop in it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The volume of pure snow that would have to be consumed to cause any issues (and I am still not sure how over-hydration would lead to diahrea), especially considering the conversion factor of snow to liquid, would be beyond what a dog would want to eat. However, as noted above, snow that is contaminated would be another story - that, though, would be to do with the contamination rather than the volume.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
I read somewhere (forgot where) that eating a lot of snow can give a dog diarrhea. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
:confused:
Well...how much snow did you eat when you were a kid before you realized what yellow snow was and became paranoid about all of it? :eek:

Jax shovels it in. Never had a problem. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
My dog loves to eat snow, and so did my other dog previously. No problems from it at all. In fact, I make snow balls and play fetch :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Yep, same here. Niko and Rosa both eat snow when they get thirsty, and sometimes just for fun. No runny poop here.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well...how much snow did you eat when you were a kid before you realized what yellow snow was and became paranoid about all of it? :eek:

Jax shovels it in. Never had a problem. :)
I'm from Vermont (live in Mass now). Nuff said.

My dogs haven't had any problems either, just checking. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Like it's been said before, you have to watch out for contaminated (rocks salt, de-icer) snow.

As far as too much snow eating....no such thing. My dogs has always eaten lots of snow in the winter. In fact, Phoenix gets most of his hydration in the winter via snow eating. No problems with poop here from his snow intake. However, he sure does seem to pee a lot...:wild:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts