German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how to handle my current situation. I've been feeding my dog fromm chicken for about the last 6 months with no issues and then about a week and half ago, after slacking on brushing his teeth for a while, I brushed his teeth a couple days in a row until I noticed that he started have a little bit of diarrhea. I stopped brushing his teeth and his poop firmed up for the most part with a little diarrhea randomly, but now he's not eating as much and he's much less interested in his food. Hes never been food motivated really. He's been drinking water and eating his whole breakfast but he usually only takes a couple bites of his dinner now. I have added some chicken or egg in here and there recently and that does motivate him to eat his food. His energy level has been fine but today he actually threw up a little of a white foamy substance. Anyone have any recommendations, should I change his food, or should I just take him to the vet? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
624 Posts
If your dog hasn't eaten in 48 hours, take him to the vet.

And get a distemper vaccine shot while you're there.

My idiot vet didn't advise me to get one while I still could do it in time.

We thought at the time it was a stomach bug my dog would get over but it turned out to be distemper that killed her.

Get him vaccinated right away and then start whatever treatments the vet might prescribe.

You want to be aggressively proactive to protect your dog! I found to my lasting regret, how easy it can be to lose them!

Go to the vet as soon as you can - take it from me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He hasn't gone 48 hours with out eating or even 24 hrs really. His energy has been good and he's been drinking water pretty good.

·
Registered
624 Posts
He hasn't gone 48 hours with out eating or even 24 hrs really. His energy has been good and he's been drinking water pretty good.

Good to hear he's eating and drinking normally. If your dog isn't updated on his vaccines, now would be the time to do it.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The initial diarrhea could have been stress related from brushing his teeth if he does not like that.

To see if it is a food or health issue you can see if your dog is motivated by food by cooking him some home cooked meals for a couple days. You can try the bland diet:
soft cooked white rice with equal portion of your choice of protein (cooked chicken, cooked ground beef, or some cottage cheese) and add some broth. If your dog gobbles this down then I doubt if it is a health issue, especially if he has good energy.

Our dog did not do well on kibble - any kind. She has no food allergies. We started feeding her a different kind of food, dehydrated raw from The Honest Kitchen and her GI health improved dramatically. You can try this for one meal a day and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts