German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two days my dog has eaten her own scat which i have never seen her do before! she sneaks it and scarfs it down then it is stuck to her gums!!

she never doe this while walking or never did this before she gets high quality food called orjin which i was told was one of the best out there.

i fed her a lot of chicken and left over turkey skin 2 days ago could that be why she did this today and yesterday?

also anyone can tell me best way to clean her mouth after she has done this? thanks

shes about 15 months old

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
No advice as to why the poo eating just started but you can try pineapple in her food to help keep her from doing it again. They also make powder that you sprinkle over the food that helps keep them from eating it. You can buy it at the vet or pet store.

However, as for cleaning the mouth, I'd recommend brushing her teeth with some DOG toothpaste. (NOT human kind!) I'd actually recommend this regularly for good oral health. Dental disease is one of the most common problems in dogs (Over 80% have dental disease by 3 years old) and can cause your dog not only a painful mouth but all that bacteria that builds up goes into the blood stream and is spread through all your dogs organs. In bad enough cases, it can lead to kidney, liver, heart, ect failure. Raw bones are also helpful in cleaning the teeth. (But probably wont make the poo smell go away which is why I recommend brushing them ;))

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
No advice as to why the poo eating just started but you can try pineapple in her food to help keep her from doing it again. They also make powder that you sprinkle over the food that helps keep them from eating it. You can buy it at the vet or pet store.

However, as for cleaning the mouth, I'd recommend brushing her teeth with some DOG toothpaste. (NOT human kind!) I'd actually recommend this regularly for good oral health. Dental disease is one of the most common problems in dogs (Over 80% have dental disease by 3 years old) and can cause your dog not only a painful mouth but all that bacteria that builds up goes into the blood stream and is spread through all your dogs organs. In bad enough cases, it can lead to kidney, liver, heart, ect failure. Raw bones are also helpful in cleaning the teeth. (But probably wont make the poo smell go away which is why I recommend brushing them ;))
My dog had/has the same problem. I tried pineapple and every known product and home remedy to no avail. The thing that worked best for me was/is Prozyme but she still goes after it on occasion. If you look it up online you will see many products and remedies with the caveat that many dogs can't be broken ....... you just have to clean up after them immediately. My yard is nice and clean. :eek:

oh, and thanks for using the word 'scat', much nicer than poop

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ii bought the pills today

to clean her mouth i put her balls in vinager and didnt wash them in water then played fetch with her for a half an hour was that good enough ? then she drank a lot of water after so i think shes clean now.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
It is not an uncommon thing in dogs. My friend's 7 year old female still does this at times. When I had one doing this, I went out with and cleaned up right then. The opportunity to continue to eat feces was then not there. She eventually stopped it. I think it helps to keep the yard cleaned up so that they can not continue the habit. The Prozyme might help also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have tried the pineapple juice, pumpkin and the vet suggested meat tenderizer. Well that didn't work either, now instead of eating it, she beings it to us. I think she thinks she is doing us a favor, since she knows we always try to clean up the yard immediately after she goes, but that is not always possible. She just brought us one and I told her to DROP IT and she did, but hate to yell at her too much --that is her only fault what soever.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
401 Posts
It could be the skin you gave her. She may be smelling it and and wanting to eat it again as its something she don't get alot. JMO

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes that skin made her a real monster she is dangerous with that skin she turned into abeast she could not focus on training and was jumping at it like a alagator

i dont think i will use it for training again she is to obessed/intense with it she couldnt focus eye popped out of her head lmao

1 - 9 of 9 Posts