German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old has been on RAW for a week now (ground up chicken wings and breast). Ive been feeding her 1 pound of the mix twice daily. First few days she was inhaling her food. Now she just eats a little and leaves. I'm still new to the RAW idea and curious if this is normal and I should cut her back to 8-12 oz twice daily? Her stool seems normal, not loose.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
She is still really little. Has a small stomach.At that age, I was feeding three meals a day, 8 ounces each.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would also introduce other protein sources, lamb, beef, kangaroo mince this morning for my 11 week old (cheap in Australia obviously). Now this is not only for varied nutrition sources of vitamins and minerals and enzymes and so on, but also to offer a bit of a varied diet to keep their interest. Imagine you everyday on only meatloaf, after a while it would not be nutritionally correct or be interesting.

Now, further, you could be somewhere when chicken is inconvenient for instance. Mine get a varied diet (have four GSDs), my own slaughtered beef, but also lamb and ox heart and kidney, chicken, lamb, and so on...

They eagarly go for their food, excited to see what is on the menu tonight... The key balance seems to be 10% bone like in chicken wings, meat on the bone of all types, and also some 10% or so organ meat like beef liver for instance for nutrition. I saved my 10 year old Alpha Male Dakota with the RAW diet, now thriving and prancing and playing again... My two working dogs GSDs are thriving beyond belief. 11 week old female is at least 11 kg, and excited attacks her dinner. Now She prefers chicken as well, but I add in other for the reasons above...

One more thing, for teeth and chewing development, it is good to give them like chicken wings they have to crunch up.. Mince everything and they do not develop that good bite action, slower back shearing teeth development, and weaker jaw muscles. Start with just wing tips, then the two bone part chopped about half down to the next joint, then the whole wing.... Maybe a week apart. 4 months is pretty big, you just need to develop the jaw and teeth action..

Regards from Australia, lone Ranger

·
Registered
27,306 Posts
Teething may be playing into the appetite. It is painful to eat so the dog doesn't want to.
At 4 months I dropped the mid day meal so my pup was eating 2 meals a day(2# total) with a midnight snack.
As far as portion size, do what is best for her structure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also introduce other protein sources, lamb, beef, kangaroo mince this morning for my 11 week old (cheap in Australia obviously). Now this is not only for varied nutrition sources of vitamins and minerals and enzymes and so on, but also to offer a bit of a varied diet to keep their interest. Imagine you everyday on only meatloaf, after a while it would not be nutritionally correct or be interesting.

Now, further, you could be somewhere when chicken is inconvenient for instance. Mine get a varied diet (have four GSDs), my own slaughtered beef, but also lamb and ox heart and kidney, chicken, lamb, and so on...

They eagarly go for their food, excited to see what is on the menu tonight... The key balance seems to be 10% bone like in chicken wings, meat on the bone of all types, and also some 10% or so organ meat like beef liver for instance for nutrition. I saved my 10 year old Alpha Male Dakota with the RAW diet, now thriving and prancing and playing again... My two working dogs GSDs are thriving beyond belief. 11 week old female is at least 11 kg, and excited attacks her dinner. Now She prefers chicken as well, but I add in other for the reasons above...

One more thing, for teeth and chewing development, it is good to give them like chicken wings they have to crunch up.. Mince everything and they do not develop that good bite action, slower back shearing teeth development, and weaker jaw muscles. Start with just wing tips, then the two bone part chopped about half down to the next joint, then the whole wing.... Maybe a week apart. 4 months is pretty big, you just need to develop the jaw and teeth action..

Regards from Australia, lone Ranger
yeah, like i stated above this is her first week. Im starting with one meat source for about 2 weeks and then i will start introducing more

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Teething may be playing into the appetite. It is painful to eat so the dog doesn't want to.
At 4 months I dropped the mid day meal so my pup was eating 2 meals a day(2# total) with a midnight snack.
As far as portion size, do what is best for her structure.
Thats actually another thing I thought it could be. I can tell her teeth and gums are tender bc shes not gripping her tug very hard anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts