German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My younger GSD is incredibly destructive and I have yet to come across a toy that he can't destroy. The ultra king kong (black) is the best I can do. Even with that, after he chews on it for 15 minutes, he starts getting pieces off. It used to be that he would spit all of them out. However, now he tends to swallow some. They're pretty small pieces (no bigger than the size of a nickel around). If I see him take a bigger chunk off, I usually force his mouth open and get it out....but it's not so practical for the tinier pieces, as he gets them down before I can get them out.

So how concerned should I be? I'd rather not leave him without anything to chew/play with when he's out in the yard. He'll end up going after sticks (and eating some smaller pieces too) if he doesn't have a kong. But I also would hate to have anything bad happen due to the kong pieces.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I'd take it up as soon as a piece came off. Those pieces get in the right configuration in the GI tract and could cause a block.

Why just not leave him in the yard alone?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I don't think I'd leave him with a Kong if he's able to chew hunks of it off.

Does he like ice? (My two are nuts about ice.) It wouldn't last all day, but a big hunk of ice (maybe with a little chicken flavor in it?) might keep him occupied and out of danger for an hour or two.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
My girls love ice too!!

Good idea Tracy! I never thought about adding flavoring

A bigger piece would take some chewing to get thru...

We use ice cubes in place of treats for our oldest (she's prone to getting a bit.... plump!)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll give ice a try....I've used ice cubes before in the summer. I think I had stopped that for a little while because of something I read about either bloat (but I guess only if he's very hot) or chipping teeth.

I try to get the kong pieces from him right away. He just swallows some before I can get them out of his mouth. And he's never left alone with one. In fact, if he's out of his kennel, I'm outside with him. If I give him nothing though, he'll go for sticks and eat small pieces of those....and I can't possibly get all of the sticks/branches out of our yard. He just seeks out things he can destroy.

And I don't want to make it seem as if I don't interact with him. He's a working dog, so we train during our workday and are constantly interacting for full days. But at home that means giving us both some down time for just hanging out. And he's the type of dog that in his downtime would rather just lay chewing on something rather than bringing something to me to throw.

I'll give some ice cubes a try again though and see how it goes....I think he'll love a little flavoring.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Try teaching a command like "spit it out" and have treats with you at all times and reward the spitting out with a treat. I wouldn't use the drop or out command for this. I know there are certain things my dogs will not eat, so I would give them one of those and say "spit it out" when they did then I would give a really good treat.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You can teach "trade", too - trade whatever for a treat. If Misha or Chaos get a chunk of Kong (or something they are not supposed to have in their mouth) I ask them to "trade it" - they immediatly drop whatever is in their mouth, and run for a treat.

I have also frozen water bottles, removed the plastic and given them outside. It takes them quite a while to melt.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great ideas! It never occurred to me to have him spit out pieces for treats. I think he kind of knows the "spit it out" thing (as that's exactly what I say), but he also knows that nothing bad happens when he doesn't spit it out (unless I'm in the process of shoving my hand in his mouth to fish out the piece). So it should be quite easy to add in the treats. He's very easy with food, so I can even use kibble pieces for the reward. Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well he obviously completely understands the "spit it out" command and has simply been giving me the finger lately. The first piece he got off was very small and he swallowed it before I could do much, but I had already told him to spit it out and moved forward so he could tell i had some kibble. After he realized he wasn't getting the kibble and an "ah-ah," he spit out every piece after.....and has kept spitting them out for me, no matter the size. Guess he just needed payment for the work he was doing

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
They also now make a Blue Kong that is sold at vet stores....its suppose to have more tensile strength than even the black ones and its made of a special radiopaque rubber that shows up in x-rays....much easier to diagnose a blockage that way!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts