German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a while sense i have been on here. Luna is about 18 months old is has been having a on and off issue where she will not eat her food. Total time is about 3 months, she will have to throw up a white foaming looking stuff then sometime she will eat however sometime she will not eat. I want to the vet and she said it is possible she has a food sensitivity ( it is true dogs will take after the owner). i use to feed her 2 times daily, 1.5 cups each time, then i changed it slightly where it is one cup in the morning and one cup mid afternoon and 1.5 cups at night. we feed her WholeHearted Grain Free Chicken and Pea All Life Stages with fish oil/greek yogurt or sometimes keifer milk. Before i use to feed her Tefco Raw Dog Food (Performance Dog Raw Paleo Diet | Tefco Raw Dog Food) would add probiotic with it as well, she use to have MASSIVE food drive and now it is a struggle to get her to eat. She had zero issue with the raw food and have been thinking of switching back, i changed due to the cost but i found a distributor who is 20 dollars cheaper and closer as well. Her energy level is good today i threw the ball with her and played but it isnt as good as i know she can be. Normally she would eat after but still hasnt eaten today at all, she is currently relaxing on the couch and seems tired, she isnt panting in pain or restless kinda seems like she is just under the weather. I did some looking around and pancreatitis shows everyone of her symptoms including her stomach making some grumbling sounds. The best way to explain the sound is when you get bubble guts, i could also see her stomach spasming but she wasnt yelping or whining. i am monitoring her and will see if i can get into the vet tomorrow or wait til Monday and tell the vet i want a blood test and stool sample, i do not want to come across as a jerk but i also know something isnt right with her. The other thing is she has a day like this but then tomorrow she is fine and eating normal, which makes it that much harder to explain.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,065 Posts
Your instinct to go to the vet is the best option overall.

That said - I've had fussy eaters. First dog's appetite increased dramatically when his food wasn't left down all day but if uneaten taken up to be offered again later.

Two others have been "social diners" --- they have liked company at meal time. And both of these dogs (owned at different times) may choose to eat just the evening meal (and request seconds or thirds on occassion) or eat both AM & PM - or change that up. Both were good about letting me know they wanted another serving when they wanted another serving.

Besides this, my current two dogs like to have a self-selected serving of bunch grass on occasion. Because of where I live, I have a lot of bunch grass on the property.

I'll be interested in what the vet has to say. And it is OK to be weird. You might look for a second opinion from another vet, too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will, we she isn't losing weight, she isn't lethargic, she just isn't eating normally.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I would also be cautious using too big of a bag of food. If you do, it can go stale or rancid before the bag is gone.

When any of my dogs persistently refuse to eat and seem healthy elsewise, the first thing I do is take it as a sign that the current food being fed does not sit well with them and I change foods to either something I know they did well on before or a totally different food and brand. I have had to change foods up to four times before finding something they would eat, (I couldn't go back to previous foods as they had been recalled), so I always bought small bags first to see the results. I have never had it be more of an issue than to find a food that sits well with the dog.

Just a side note, I have had dogs eat a food long term with no apparent problems and suddenly stop eating it. Changing the food out worked well at those times too.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
My Husky/ GSD does this as well. He will either eat at morning feed or evening feed, but rarely at both. Some days he skips a day. His energy is never low though. We have high temps (115+) right now, and to be honest, I have little desire to eat during the summer months here.

He was recently vet checked and we brought in a stool sample, and everything came out great.

He does occasionally throw up the foam, but it’s when he’s partaken of the grass far too much, and the foam has lots of grass in it.

No stomach heaves or stomach bubbles though. I think it’s just the heat. It can really lower your desire for food.

I would definitely vet check your guy, and if you have the funds available, do a food allergy test.

As for food going rancid, how long does that normally take? I get a 33lb of dog food, and 33lb bag of puppy food. The adult food last about 3 weeks, and we store it in an airtight container. Same with the puppy food, but theirs lasts a lot longer, a month, sometimes slightly longer. Can it turn that quickly?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she did it again yesterday so i did a list of everything we did 24 hrs before and one thing keeps coming up, she would go to the local coffee shop with me the day before and she would get a pup cup (whip cream) Now she would eat and loves it but the next day she didn't want to eat everything. I still have a vet appointment for today, no more pup cups for her, sad because she loved them to, she knew when we where there and she would get all excited.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts