German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New to this forum but been lurking for a while. Our 8 month old GS pup has had giardia for a month, tried 2 doses of panacur, a 10 day dose of flagyl, with no luck. Vet says he still has giardia and wants to do a higher dose of flagyl. Also, he won't eat his food. Going to try a bland chicken/rice diet tonight and tomorrow to see if this helps. Any tips?? This has been going on for a month and I feel real bad for this poor guy. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Hi Strodz and WELCOME! :greet:

The following are 3 "Natural" items you may want to consider which has worked for myself and others on this site when antibiotics failed.

*A Homeopathic Nosode called “Bowel Pathogen”
“Homeopathic nosodes can stimulate the body to recognize a disease and assist in the elimination of pathogens naturally. Nosodes make an indirect attack on diseases by stimulating the immune system and white blood cell production. It aids in enhancement of immune response to typical bowel pathogens.” A HOMEOPATHIC Remedy is given in a "clean mouth" meaning no food or water 20-30 minutes before or after dosing.
Purchase here: https://www.pureformulas.com/bowel-pathogen-nosode-2-oz-by-professional-formulas.html

*An Herbal combination called “Kocci-Free” now re-branded as “Kochi Free”

“Contains organic anti-microbial and anti-parasitic herbs.”
Build and stimulate the immune system
Rid the body of microscopic parasites
Kills viruses, bacteria and fungus
Soothe the digestive system”
Purchase here: https://ambertech.com/store/product/kocci-free/

*MSM - Methylsulfonylmethane is a non-toxic form of active sulfur.
MSM makes the bowel "a very unfriendly place for parasites".
There are very different grades of msm. Bergstrom is the company that manufactures OptiMSM and PuroforMSM. After researching, and reading the certifications that they have, I believe this one is the best!
A company called Kala distributes OptiMSM & PurforMSM by Bergstrom: ARTHRIX Plus contains MSM, glucosamine, Ester-C, chondroitin and cetyl myristoleate to help dogs and cats with joint problems
PurforMSM® is the only MSM manufactured in the USA and is the only licensed form of MSM that is approved by the FDA for animal use.
PurforMSM® is the only MSM on the market which undergoes a quadruple distillation for ultimate purity.

*MSM can be given everyday even past the point of the giardia disappearing.

These 3 items are given separately. I can help you with instructions if you decide to try these items.

A Pro-Biotic is key since about 70% of the Immune System lies in the gut, so you MUST keep it healthy.
The following 2 products are made for dogs and contain all Human Grade Ingredients:
Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (Use the email to order)
Gut Sense: http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense

Good luck!

Moms :)

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Hello all,
tried 2 doses of panacur, a 10 day dose of flagyl, with no luck.

Two doses of Panacur? It's not long enough. My vets have always told me Giardia requires a minimum of 5 days of Panacur, and we usually 7 days in our rescue because it seems more likely to work. Two days seems to me like it just wasn't enough to do much good.

Flagyl (Metronidazol) by itself isn't as effective IMHO.

Before increasing doseage, ask why they aren't giving the Panacur longer, with the same dose of Flagyl -- check this out:
https://www.revivalanimal.com/pet-health/giardia/learning-center

Here's the Merck Veterinary Manual online -- I'd print it, highlight the treatment section, and take it to the vet to ask about the number of doses, as it says 5-10 days of Panacur (Fenbendazole):
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/digestive-system/giardiasis-giardia/overview-of-giardiasis

The Panacur and Flagyl can screw up appetite temporarily. That's very, very common. I prefer using Panacur alone in a first round of treatment (as mentioned in the manual link), to be honest, but that's for your vet to determine. To stimulate appetite, I use homemade beef broth, baked meat balls (with liver and hamburger), and goat's milk (fresh or The Honest Kitchen's ProBloom instant, which has added enzymes and probiotics).

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
I used MOM's advice and treatment for Deja in the past after two rounds of Panacur failed. it worked instantly. It never came back. Order it on Amazon Prime and you have it in a few days.
Can we make Mom's post a sticky?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I used MOM's advice and treatment for Deja in the past after two rounds of Panacur failed. it worked instantly. It never came back. Order it on Amazon Prime and you have it in a few days.
While I’m certainly glad it worked for you, it definitely does not work for every dog. My boy required 10 days of panacur, 10 days off, then another 10 days on in order to clear him of giardia. It was a months long process of trying various things (including kocci free and the bowel pathogen nosode) before it was fully cured by longer doses of panacur.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It didn't work for me either, total waste of money and time. A trifecta of Albon/Panacur/Metro is what helped our boy, multiple doses. Keep things as clean as possible, wash toys and bedding frequently and make sure you wipe paws after coming inside. OP I hope this clears up quickly for you... giardia is notoriously difficult to get rid of :frown2:. Keep an eye out for developing allergies afterwards as the parasite wrecks havoc on a young dogs system.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
We did the same and the meds did not work. The vet finally said get a good probiotic and a good food, and his maturing system will knock it out. It did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts