German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a tough time getting Zeus's paw to heal. We spend alot of time outside in the yard, hiking and swimming. A few months ago I noticed Zeus had started eating his paw...well licking it to death where he licked off all the hair and had now created open sores from licking. I checked over his paw and found up inside his pads some cuts most likely from running around and catching something/cutting up inside so he had been licking his paw bc of those cuts. I cleaned everything several times with an cleaning solution from the vet, put bacitracin on the sores/cuts, even tried wrapping with vet wrap...his fur had finally started to grow back but now hes back at it again and nothing that I had done before seems to be helping now as he just licks everything right off and keeps licking opening the healing sores. It is only this 1 paw and he wont leave it alone to heal and wrapping it last time had messed up his pads making them peel and become raw as well so im hoping to avoid wrapping if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to 1. help heal the cuts and open lick sores and 2. deter him from licking his paw so it can heal.

·
Premium Member
11,252 Posts
it is now an obessive behavior and he will develop lick granulomas if you cannot stop it.

Put an elizabethan collar on him. Keep it dry, use antibiotic cream to heal it and then tea tree oil to make the spot distasteful. Break the behavior now before he becomes obessive compulsive over it.

Lee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts