German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Easiest and more effective solution: carry a bag with you and clean it up right away.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey... Does anyone know why my 3 months old gsd eats his own **** sometimes!!and how can i stop him from doing it again?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I have a GSD too she is a puppy and she driving me nuts but she dosent eat her "#2" lol but i had another dog before that did and i corrected that by using a newspaper and every time you see her in the act get the newspaper or something that makes noise and shake it in front of his/her nose ( make sure you dont hit her ) I know a lot people may not agree with this method but it did work for me !!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Pick up the poop when it happens.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
There is something's you can get to make the poop taste yucky. Some people use Accent, meat tenderizer or pineapple. I tried the stuff you can buy, pills, I think called potty mouth. It turned her poop into pudding, so harder to eat.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

I used a command to get him to leave it alone. When Cruz got to doing this I would leash him to poo and pee. When he poo'd, I would let him bet a whiff of it them tell him to "break" in a level tone and gently pulled him away. Once he started to pull away from it on command I treated him. Now he no longer is interested in eating, just a quick whiff and he off. Worked great. He won't pick it up right away. It takes several times to get it to sink in, but it will.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Lulu did that for a while... drove me nuts, especially when she would then come and lick my face ICK!!!

I picked it up right away and she eventually left it alone. Shes only 9 months old now and doesnt do it at all.... knock on wood.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Dexter just stopped one day. Its been two, almost three weeks now that he just stopped eating it. I used to have to chase him to get it from him. Now he helps me find them and moves on to the next . The only issue now is at the dog park he stops by any poop he finds and sits down looks at me like " Mom, i found poop over here, aren't you going to come pick it up" :help:.

I just grab a bunch of bags on the way in, cause I know hes going to find some poop someone didnt pick up.

P.S. Oh im sorry I meant feces...I know hes going to find some feces..lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
We live on a ranch and I had to chase her because she was eating horse poo. So gross. She has also eaten the buffalo's poo. I don't think the suggestions of picking it up would work for me. Does any one know why they do it?

·
Registered
595 Posts
We live on a ranch and I had to chase her because she was eating horse poo. So gross. She has also eaten the buffalo's poo. I don't think the suggestions of picking it up would work for me. Does any one know why they do it?

Mine doesn't generally eat poop, but when we were in farm country he ate cow poop. MY friend's GSD eats horse's and sheep's it seems. I suppose it has something to do with them being herders.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I "believe" it's due to left over nutrients in the feces.
I believe there's some truth in this. A lot of kibble dog food won't break down completely on the first pass through. Raw fed dogs, I think!, will be less likely to go back for a second helping.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't why dog's eat their poop but i know when they're
leashed and you clean up immediately they can't eat their poop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ours did it a couple of times. our vet said it's fairly common & instinctual as it's something the mother dog does to clean up after the pups. he suggested not letting our pup see us clean up the poop after him so he didn't try & do the same thing. he stopped doing it fairly quickly as far as i'm aware. im not sure if it was a nervous thing for our boy either? im glad he stopped quickly & relatively easily, altho he still likes to nibble the possum poop under the trees occasionally its not nearly as bad!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts