German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but here goes: about a week ago, Echo has started eating her own poop and then obviously throwing it up about 15 minutes later. She is almost 7 months old and nothing else has changed with her. I read on the internet that it could be a multitude of things, but i just wanted to hear what everyones perspectives were on this forum. I see no other health issues, she is very playful, is eating and drinking just fine. And just so everyone knows, i usually clean the poop up every-other day, just so it is easier to scoop since it gets harder.

·
5,627 Posts
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...2-help-eating-poop.html?highlight=eating+poop

http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...g-time-poop-eating.html?highlight=eating+poop

These are two threads in the last week about the same issue.

It's a pretty common thing. The best way to stop it is to have her potty on leash, teach her leave it and to clean up right away. There are also things you can add to her food to make her stool less appealing.

ETA: I just noticed you said her stool gets harder after a day. She should be having firm formed stool everytime she goes that should be easy to scoop. If her stool is mushy, it is possible that you are over feeding her and that some nutrients are coming out in her stool which is why she is attracted to eating it.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I don't know if this is the correct forum, but here goes: about a week ago, Echo has started eating her own poop and then obviously throwing it up about 15 minutes later. She is almost 7 months old and nothing else has changed with her. I read on the internet that it could be a multitude of things, but i just wanted to hear what everyones perspectives were on this forum. I see no other health issues, she is very playful, is eating and drinking just fine. And just so everyone knows, i usually clean the poop up every-other day, just so it is easier to scoop since it gets harder.
I encourage you to read all you can and try all the products and remedies. My dog is a poop eater and nothing has worked for her. The result is that we pick up after her immediately and we don't let her poop unattended. This has been going on for over a year, since she was a young puppy. Hopefully, you can find a reason and a cure for yours, good luck!

·
5,627 Posts
I think the OP meant her poop gets harder after being left for a day and is easier to pick up.
And? Of course it gets harder after a day especially with how cold it's been. I've had some frozen to the ground lately. That doesn't change the fact that it should be firm and easy to pick up no matter the tool so my suggestion that IF it is not firm then the dog could be being overfed and could be the reason for eating her stool.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Dogs love to eat poopsicles at this time of year; it's a yummy, but gross, frozen treat. There is generally very little you can do about it other than making sure you keep your yard clean so there isn't any to eat.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
And? Of course it gets harder after a day especially with how cold it's been. I've had some frozen to the ground lately. That doesn't change the fact that it should be firm and easy to pick up no matter the tool so my suggestion that IF it is not firm then the dog could be being overfed and could be the reason for eating her stool.
You were too quick, I caught my mistake and deleted it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will say that she has firm poop, no softness or runny mess. I just got used to cleaning it up a day later. Maybe i will have to change my ways and do it everyday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts