German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people don't allow their dogs to do it. Why is this?

Is a little bit OK?

Does it mean there is a problem with their food, or other digestive issues?

This is not currently an issue but a quest for information.

Thanks for any & all opinions & individual examples.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No opinions only an individual example: My pup ate grass almost everyday when she was 5-12months old. I think it helps with her digestion. I would check if there are more suitable foods(proteins and carbs all considered) but the grass did no harm.

Reactions: Cigar

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I allow it. I have had several dogs that liked to meander around the fence line selectively grazing, never had an issue.
Sabi took care of the trimming around the planters her whole life. I found it was more common in the spring when the new grass comes up and I suspect it's something to do with needing something after the winter. I've observed wild canids doing it as well, again primarily in the spring.
I have heard of it causing blockages but I have never seen it happen. Again though my dogs just seem to graze a bit. It's not like they are eating tons of it.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Interesting article. It stands to reason that wild hunters are eating grazing and foraging animals and would be ingesting the stomach contents as well. So at least a portion of their diets would be partially digested plants and grains.
Shadow will frantically seek out a specific type of grass if she is feeling pukey and she does not graze at all. I wonder if there is some correlation? Do dogs that graze not puke from eating grass and do dogs that don't graze use grass just to trigger it?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Harley is a minor but regular grass grazer. Sometimes he'll puke a bit of bile up immediately or 8 hours later. The worst if he doesn't fully cr*p it out and it's half .... hanging out there .... hopefully I have a poop bag with me....:oops:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Shadow will frantically seek out a specific type of grass if she is feeling pukey and she does not graze at all. I wonder if there is some correlation? Do dogs that graze not puke from eating grass and do dogs that don't graze use grass just to trigger it?
That is an interesting question that I don't have any answers to. I'm not aware of any studies either. I can tell you that my current dog will sometimes eat grass and puke; usually, this will be in the morning and he will lap up his own bile too lol - this was more common when younger. When I see him eat grass, randomly in the day, he usually doesn't puke. I think there is a multitude of reasons why dogs eat grass and one is that they may enjoy it.

I was just watching my dog this afternoon, on a walk, eating some natural dead grass from last year as the new shoots haven't sprouted yet.

I'm like you though, I don't worry about it at all as all my dogs have eaten grass for one reason or another. I would be concerned if it was excessive to their normal behaviour or you live in an area where pesticides are used.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
Mine only eat grass to vomit. A woman told me her dog ate grass and bloated. It doesn’t seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I've seen Nitro when he has the 'gulpies' eat grass and it settle his stomach.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I think my dog uses long grass the way a human might use sticking a finger down their throat.
When his stomach feels unsettled (he'll be pacing, uncomfortable) he will go out and eat long grass.
After eating enough of it, he'll make retching gagging noises and vomit up a gooey ball of the long grass, tangled with whatever was in his stomach.
Then he feels a lot better...he will settle down for a nap or if on a walk, he'll start sniffing and lifting his leg and doing his usual dog stuff again.

So it seems like an effective treatment!
My theory is that the strands of long grass trigger a gag reflex as they slide down his throat?

But he does not do this often...maybe once every month or two? if he was doing it a lot, I'd wonder if he was having some kind of health issues.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
PS I also want to add that Google once mentioned that one of the top Googled questions of the year was: "Why does my dog eat grass?" :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have never seen a dog eat dead grass but green grass? Quite often.
I'd only be concerned about pesticides on a residential lawn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts