German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I realize this is a basic question, but Ozzy is the first dog I myself have ever been responsible for, so I scrutinize every bowel movement, every sneeze, etc.

Ozzy doesn't normally eat grass but he has been doing so this morning and then promptly throwing it up. All that is in the vomit is the grass. Is something to be worried about? Do I assume he has an upset tummy and this is his way of dealing with it?

Can I stop my visions of bringing him to the vet at lunch time or should I be worried?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
656 Posts
My dog vomits randomly every now and again.

He hasn't ate grass but I heard dogs do that when they have an upset stomach.

If he acts fine and nothings changed with his attitude, I'd let it pass but if he's acting sick or lazy, then check up never hurts.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
its early spring and most dogs will go searching for fresh grass to it, if they dont have any available during the winter. i grow some for our dogs during the winter months. Grass seems to clean their belly out as you can see. i wouldnt worry about it too much unless there is chemical on the grass.

·
Registered
412 Posts
One of my dogs does it every spring - it seems he finds the smell of new grass irresistable! We joke that he's part cow - I've caught him grazing while practicing long downs too. It's never seemed to hurt him at all (even if he throws it right back up), but I certainly tell him to stop every time I see him do it.

Christine

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have oft wondered about this myself: If they are not able to keep it down, what's the reason for the ingestion in the first place? It's not like they're getting any nutrients out of it or anything (maybe it's like dental floss
).

Mine is actually picky on the type of grass, too. There's one clump that he and the rabbits and deers all seem to go after, but any vitamins he may be getting are promptly, well, returned.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Brenna eats grass all the time, probably on a daily basis, but doesn't throw it up. I've also noticed that if it is the kind with little seeds on the end she seems to scrape the seeds off the blade to eat...What I weird dog I have!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts