German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb puppy question but it is my first lol. Should i be worried if my pup goes outside and the only thing he is worried about is eating grass and rocks? when he puts the rocks in a his mouth i open his mouth and make him spit it out because i dont want him swallowing a possibly choking then he yelps everytime i do it but i dont want him eating them.

Is it ok for him to eat grass and am i really hurting him when i open his mouth and have him drop the rock or is he just being a baby lol. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It's not a dumb question--it's an issue all puppy owners deal with.

You're correct in thinking he should not swallow rocks. That could be bad. I'm generally less worried about grass, leaves, stuff that actually could pass through--but even then, be watchful.

If you have to open his mouth to retrieve a rock, so be it. It's better than the alternative (that he swallows it.)

Here's what I'd do. Make sure you have some treats that the pup likes, and see if you can use them to "trade him" for the rock. This is how you begin to teach the command "drop it." If the treat is good enough (bite of hot dog?) he'll drop the rock (not because you said to, but to get the hot dog in there) and then you praise and treat. Keep doing this, and he'll start to connect the command "drop it" with getting something even better than what he has.

It takes time. They grow out of this goat stage. Until then, being watchful, and using it as an early training opportunity is the best you can do.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Agreed!!!
Brady when he was a pup thought rocks were food and then
when they didn't agree with his tummy he threw up all in my car!!
Needless to say that was the last time he ate rocks.
Puppies will eat anything and everything. If he yelps he is just being a baby

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Yup Jesse liked rocks at 8 weeks and boy we had to train him right off the bat "drop it" and "leave it" by 12 weeks he ignored the rocks in the backyard, now they are his bathroom....

Grass no worries unless pesticide ect put on it recently.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Agree with those above - first, not a dumb questions at all, and your insticts have served you well. My pup is now 7 months old and will still occasionally find a nice juicy rock that he just HAS to have.

Damage to teeth, and the possibility of choking, in addition to the bad things that can happen if swallowed - be as stern as you have to. I agree to trade a treat for the rock, but also teach "drop" to ween him off the treats.

Grass, leaves, etc. I don't worry so much about, I just keep an eye to be sure I know what it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts