German Shepherds Forum banner

Eating Dirt

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Custom Billet 
#1 ·
First - if this is the wrong section, please move it. I have no idea where this could fit in.

Couple months ago, I changed both dogs to Fromm - supposed to be a good food - both started eating dirt. Never had this problem before with either of them. Shadow (Lab) stopped the dirt eating when we stopped the Fromm and went to another food. Woolf (GSD) still insists on snacking on dirt. It is to the point he occasionally vomits food AND dirt. No blockage, body functions still on track.

Steps taken - Covering the area he was eating dirt in with plastic fencing - allows sun and water through but he can't get to the dirt. He changed spots.

Going out with him, correcting and bringing back in. Due to some medical issues, I am not moving fast all the time so unable to give timely corrections or it sounds like I am screeching because of the distance.

Muzzle - This will block the snacking, but I want to avoid using a muzzle like this if possible. He has to be tolerant of muzzles due to behavior.

I had thought about an ecollar but with Woolf having heart issues, I would not think that would be wise. Had asked vet about ecollars before and immediate response was no.

My first thought is vet and blood work, see if low on anything but thought would try you guys and suggestions first. And if I can avoid the vet bill, a major plus as well (sigh).

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Just guessing here,but it sounds like he's simply developed an obsessive habit.Wearing the muzzle for a while might be a good idea until he hopefully forgets about it.

#4 ·
Agree with Carmspack

Local health food store (NOT GNC) or Whole Foods grocery stores carry a human product called Garden of Life Primal Defense, in the cold food section.

Primal Defense contain the Homeostatic® Soil Organisms (HSOs) that Carmspack mentioned. Read about it here: https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product-category/product-lines/primal-defense/

You can place the hard tablet between a paper towel and crush it with the side of a meat mallet or hammer.

Moisten kibble slightly, sprinkle on crushed tablet and mix. He may even eat it out of your hand like mine did! They "know" what their body needs. ;)

Moms :)

#5 ·
Agree with Carmspack

Local health food store (NOT GNC) or Whole Foods grocery stores carry a human product called Garden of Life Primal Defense, in the cold food section.

Primal Defense contain the Homeostatic® Soil Organisms (HSOs) that Carmspack mentioned. Read about it here: https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product-category/product-lines/primal-defense/

You can place the hard tablet between a paper towel and crush it with the side of a meat mallet or hammer.

Moisten kibble slightly, sprinkle on crushed tablet and mix. He may even eat it out of your hand like mine did! They "know" what their body needs. ;)

i take that one myself. I get it from amazon

#7 ·
Update

I went forward with the probiotic and didn't with the muzzle.

As mentioned earlier, he must wear a muzzle when out. He tolerates it, definitely doesn't love it. I didn't want to turn this into a muzzle battle., so backed out of using the muzzle.

I ordered the Garden of Life Primal Defense that Mom suggested. Received it Thursday and began the regimen that same evening - 1 capsule each evening with dinner. Sunday was the last time I called him back for eating dirt. He still sniffs at it, just not eating it.

The capsule contains what appears to be block powder, no scent to it that I can detect when the capsule is opened. Woolf's nose is working though; I open the capsule, sprinkle on his food and he is there ready to eat. This from a super picky dog who is quick to turn his nose up at food.

#8 ·
I went forward with the probiotic and didn't with the muzzle.

As mentioned earlier, he must wear a muzzle when out. He tolerates it, definitely doesn't love it. I didn't want to turn this into a muzzle battle., so backed out of using the muzzle.

I ordered the Garden of Life Primal Defense that Mom suggested. Received it Thursday and began the regimen that same evening - 1 capsule each evening with dinner. Sunday was the last time I called him back for eating dirt. He still sniffs at it, just not eating it.

The capsule contains what appears to be block powder, no scent to it that I can detect when the capsule is opened. Woolf's nose is working though; I open the capsule, sprinkle on his food and he is there ready to eat. This from a super picky dog who is quick to turn his nose up at food.

Incredibly AMAZING isn't it????? They KNOW what their body is lacking and what to find to help themselves!!!!

One of mine was eating dirt too and I knew she needed the HSO's!

I gave her a choice of 3 high quality, human grade ingredients probiotics/enzymes. She smelled each one then went back to the HSO and ate it right off the plate!

I feed one tablet 2 x daily with their food.

She is also selecting 2 particular plants from our wooded area that are known to have detoxing properties!

A lot of dogs will eat grass (either for enzymes or to throw up) but when they start picking out certain plants.....take notice and find out what they are and how they help the body!

What are you feeding him?

You may need to change the kibble or consider adding one meal per day of commercially prepared BALANCED raw food.

BTW, for anyone else reading this thread, make sure that the supplement you choose is not a children's formula that could possibly contain Xylitol (for sweeteners), which is poisonous to dogs.

#9 ·
If I take Woolf to his full dose, he will be getting 2 capsules a day. Instructions cautioned about starting at full dose and possible side effects so I made sure to keep it low to begin with.

The dirt eating started when I switched both dogs to FROMM. Before then, there had never been a problem. I went back to an old stand-by, except instead of Kirkland - Costco store brand, I went with Diamond Naturals. Many aren't a fan of the brand, but with this one, his energy level is good, coat, eyes and looks are good in general - and he eats it.

#10 ·
Just wanted to thank you all for this thread! My pup was eating dirt and mud and rocks just like this. I found the Primal defense locally. It took about 1 bottle, and the dirt/rock eating stopped. I could see a change within a week. I was doing one pill with breakfast, and one with dinner.

I don't think it would hurt to run a handful through her once in a while just to build up the good bacteria.

#13 ·
It didn't work with Shasta. She still eats grass. I have her on the NW Naturals beef raw. I tried the turkey a couple times to see if that would change the grass eating, but she would just loose weight. I can't believe how much this little skinny girl can eat! Right now she is eating just shy of 3/4 of a pound 3 times a day. :surprise:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.