German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time i bought some chocolate from the vet for my dog.. They r sugar free .. But some people told me that it's unhealthy for him even if they r made for dogs .. I shouldn't feed him chocolate .. Any ideas?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Basic rule of thumb is that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate has more of the toxic ingredient than milk chocolate, but we tell people to not give any.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
It's probably Carob, not chocolate. I doubt any vet would sell chocolate.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Last time i bought some chocolate from the vet for my dog.. They r sugar free .. But some people told me that it's unhealthy for him even if they r made for dogs .. I shouldn't feed him chocolate .. Any ideas?

NEVER feed chocolate to cats and dogs - theobromine poisoning can result - and it needs to be treated by a vet ASAP! :eek:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.. Trust me he would sell chocolate lol ... Since he's the nearest vet in the area .. He might be taking advantage of that ...anyway why take a risk? I got these instead ImageUploadedByPG Free1371072755.512632.jpg

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Here is the ingredients of the choco-milk drops -- Vitakraft

Sugar, Palm Kernel Oil, Whey Powder, Skim Milk Powder, Cocoa Powder, Corn Starch, Lecithin, Vanilla, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol, a-Tocopherol Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

I actually couldn't believe they would sell a dog treat containing chocolate, but this does contain cocoa powder, and I think that is probably not good for dogs. I wonder why they would do that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts