German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Berlin (and Akira did too) likes to sneak into the cat boxes and get a tasty little treat, very often. It grosses me out.. :crazy: I clean the cat boxes just about every other day (lately been trying to do it everyday) but ew, does this behavior go away?! Is this something puppies like to do? I have the booda-domes (type of catbox hahah it has a lid) turned toward the wall so the cats can sneak in, but Berlin is forceful and will move it to get in. Its hard to keep him away too, bc one of the cat boxes is on the main floor, in the bathroom. Any advice?

Also, Berlin stalks my cats..chases them, and even gets my idiot boy cat Mieko, who seems to think that one of these times Berlin will decide not to try and chew/shake him, but instead love him. (Mieko is a huge lover). I never leave them alone, but because Mieko is such an idiot, I frequently have to break them up, bc Berlin has him pinned down by the throat, or his biting his leg, or shaking him violently. Is this...normal? I have two cats, the other is very small, she is a female siamese. I just worry about when he gets bigger, if he'll ever be able to peacefully get along with them like my other dog does. (She hardly acknowledges them). Also, not sure why Mieko doesn't use his god given claws, he has them all. Clearly he is getting hurt? :confused:

Last, Berlin had a nasty case of...mucus diarrhea, if I can even call it poop. It looked more like what comes out of your nose when your sick and blow it into a kleenex (sorry for the visual). He would strain for a while, and literally barely anything but a little blob would come out. Then he would strain again and clear mucus with specks of blood came out. He was at the vet thursday evening, they gave him lonox, and his poop came back negative for parvo, and they didnt see any coccidia. Well, thursday night i got maybe an hour of sleep, bc instead of his diarrhea getting less frequent, it got way worse. He was trying to go every half hour all night long. So, I called them and they put him on metro for possible giardia. An hour after his first dose he clearly was more active, not as lethargic, and then the next day he had semi solid stool, but it still was (and is) coated in mucus. Any idea if this sounds like giardia? His appetite is back and he seems perfectly normal besides his stool.

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The only way to keep a dog out of the cat box is to physically block it off. Cat poo is extremely tasty and dogs love it. You need to either put it behind something like a baby gate or in a closed room that your dog can not get into no matter how hard he tries.

Is your dog fixating on the cats? Can you readily break his focus? If he's fixating on your cats, he will kill them at some point, and you can't fix this. If he's just chasing and playing with them, you need to stop this behavior now before he hurts them without really trying. This behavior can be stopped.

Hard to say why your dog has terrible diarrhea. Metro is a strong anti-inflammatory in addition to killing giardia so he could have done something to irritate his system and the metro is fixing it or it could be giardia. No way to tell without testing him for the giardia. It's also possible that the cat poo is the source of the irriation and another good reason to keep him out of it.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My GSD used to try to get to the cat poop, she hasn't tried for a couple months and this might be because I changed the cat's food. They now get grain free, so maybe its not as interesting as a food with meat??I didn't think that she would change and she did. She chases the cats less too as she gets older, but if she's bored then they are all fair game. She chases them to play and they sleep together at night. My one cat actually will chase the GSD, I sit here watching them chase each other...the GSD actually runs from the cat:)

·
Registered
123 Posts
"Eating cat poop?"

:laugh: Ranger ate his own poop for a period of time! I think he's finally broken from that, but it was waaaaay too gross! I had another dog who ate cat poop a while back and it didn't seem to hurt her.
As far as cats go, I've heard two trains of thought-#1-German Shepherds can be "socialized" to get along with most animals, #2-German Shepherds (some anyway) have a high prey drive and will never get along with cats. Ranger does not get along with cats! They are a furry treat he'd love to eat if I would let him (I know because my daughter's cat stays upstairs!)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
That is so untrue. I am on my 5th and 6th German shepherd. I have always had cats. My dogs loved to chase them but that is BS that it can't be controlled. My dogs all have learned to get along with my cats. I'm still working on these 2.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
That is so untrue. I am on my 5th and 6th German shepherd. I have always had cats. My dogs loved to chase them but that is BS that it can't be controlled. My dogs all have learned to get along with my cats. I'm still working on these 2.
*removed by moderator* There is a whole world of non-cat safe dogs out there that will kill cats no matter what you do. It's on an instinctual level and nothing you can do about it. You can manage it so long as you are standing right there, but the second that dog thinks it's safe, he will kill the cat.

Your dogs were cat safe so were fine living with them.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
So how does one go about making a dog cat safe?
You can't. They either are or they aren't. That's why adult dogs are cat tested before being adopted out to cat homes.

You never know if your new puppy will be cat safe or not either when they grow up. Them you can hedge your bet by very early, very positive cat exposure, but it's still not a given that they will grow up cat safe.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only way to keep a dog out of the cat box is to physically block it off. Cat poo is extremely tasty and dogs love it. You need to either put it behind something like a baby gate or in a closed room that your dog can not get into no matter how hard he tries.

Is your dog fixating on the cats? Can you readily break his focus? If he's fixating on your cats, he will kill them at some point, and you can't fix this. If he's just chasing and playing with them, you need to stop this behavior now before he hurts them without really trying. This behavior can be stopped.

Hard to say why your dog has terrible diarrhea. Metro is a strong anti-inflammatory in addition to killing giardia so he could have done something to irritate his system and the metro is fixing it or it could be giardia. No way to tell without testing him for the giardia. It's also possible that the cat poo is the source of the irriation and another good reason to keep him out of it.
Hmm, I will see if there is anywhere to put it..but i'm almost positive there is no where in the house that the dog cant get to and the cats can. What do you mean by fixating? When he gets into "stalking" or "killing" his toys, it is very hard to break his focus, i'm not sure if it's just because he is still learning his name, and to listen to me ( I have only had him about a week) He does listen to me when I tell him no to chasing the cat up stairs. He'll stop at the stairs and not follow the cat. I have been working with him to stop being so rough with the cat, but everytime the cat comes downstairs, or by Berlin, he immedietly goes to chase him. Is this high prey drive??

See, my other dog, the shepherd mix, I completely 100% trust her with my cats. There has never been a problem in all 10 years of owning her. She plays with them, but has never ever tried to attack or kill them, let alone even hurt them. So some dogs can be trusted around cats, but I do agree, that some cannot. I hope Berlin will somewhat learn from her behavior.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:laugh: Ranger ate his own poop for a period of time! I think he's finally broken from that, but it was waaaaay too gross! I had another dog who ate cat poop a while back and it didn't seem to hurt her.
As far as cats go, I've heard two trains of thought-#1-German Shepherds can be "socialized" to get along with most animals, #2-German Shepherds (some anyway) have a high prey drive and will never get along with cats. Ranger does not get along with cats! They are a furry treat he'd love to eat if I would let him (I know because my daughter's cat stays upstairs!)

Ah yuck. Thank goodness Berlin doesn't eat his own poop :sick:
Does the cat just know not to go by Ranger?

llombardo, changing to the grain free might be it..my mom said dogs like the poop because its "rich", gross. I had my kitties on that before, but it gave them terrible gas :wild: so now theyre on fancy feast and Iams dry food. Pretty appetizing to a dog I assume...:rolleyes:

I guess i'll just have to keep a strict eye on the type of behavior he's exibiting when he "plays" with the cats. And try to break some of the behavior ASAP. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Hmm, I will see if there is anywhere to put it..but i'm almost positive there is no where in the house that the dog cant get to and the cats can. What do you mean by fixating? When he gets into "stalking" or "killing" his toys, it is very hard to break his focus, i'm not sure if it's just because he is still learning his name, and to listen to me ( I have only had him about a week) He does listen to me when I tell him no to chasing the cat up stairs. He'll stop at the stairs and not follow the cat. I have been working with him to stop being so rough with the cat, but everytime the cat comes downstairs, or by Berlin, he immedietly goes to chase him. Is this high prey drive??
Pick a room where you can put a baby gate in doorway and put the cat box in there. Put the gate up just enough for the cat to get under it or put it on the ground if the cat can get through it.

A fixated dog will see a cat and that's the end of everything around him, you don't exist for him anymore, and this will happen every time he sees the cat and for the entire time he's around the cat. If you are able to get his attention away from the cat, there's hope for him. Do not let him chase or hurt the cat in any way and you might be ok.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
My cat litter boxes (and I have 4) are all in a room with a babygate that is just enough off the floor that the cats can get under and the dog cannot. Poop eating diverted.

As for him picking on the cat, what do YOU do when he does this??

Here's my little cat story and what I did, First I do not recommend this to anyone, I am not advocating physical punishment, but I had to do what I had to do:)

Got an 11 wk old aussie rescue, he was fine with my cats the first few days, after that, all bets were off, he would pin the cat, go beserko, barking mouthing right in their face. Not acceptable for me. I grabbed him by the back of the neck (fur), and hauled his butt OFF the cat, just my tone of voice giving him the "wrath of mom", was enough to get him to back off. He did it twice to my cats, and has never done it since and is now 11 years old:) Completely trustworthy around all my cats and I've brought in a few more since then.

So depending on what your willing to let him get away with is what he'll continue to do.

Sure cats have claws but they aren't going to be able to defend themselves against a dog that is determined..

Providing a place for the cats to escape the dog is a good thing to, babygate off your upstairs during the day is a suggestion

·
Registered
135 Posts
My puppy seems excessively interested in his own poop. He's tried to lick it. I think he'd eat it if I didn't pull him away. Is that normal?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I totaly disagree with you but I don't want to argue about this. Dogs can be trained but hey, peace.
I have a husky and am on a husky forum. EVERYONE on there that has cats supervises husky and cat play. Some have horror stories :eek:(

Huskies have much higher prey drive than GSDs. They are a type of dog that most all husky owners that I know cannot be left alone with cats.

NO OFFENSE intended. Just my observation :)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Hello,
Berlin (and Akira did too) likes to sneak into the cat boxes and get a tasty little treat, very often. It grosses me out.. :crazy: I clean the cat boxes just about every other day (lately been trying to do it everyday) but ew, does this behavior go away?! Is this something puppies like to do? I have the booda-domes (type of catbox hahah it has a lid) turned toward the wall so the cats can sneak in, but Berlin is forceful and will move it to get in. Its hard to keep him away too, bc one of the cat boxes is on the main floor, in the bathroom. Any advice?

I don't think this behavior goes away. I believe I've heard that since cat food is so high in protein and hence their poo is too, doggies find it a delicacy.

I'd try two things: 1. Do you have a covered litter box? I can suggest you a really good one if not...simply ask :) 2. A baby gate is a great idea but I also find that putting a litter box high (somewhere the cats CAN reach but the doggies CANNOT, works too. Don't have it barely high enough to where the doggies can paw at it and make it fall or you'll have a heck of a mess to clean up :(. Maybe something like a laundry machine (if it's not top load) or dryer or even a high shelf in a pantry?. And use a litter catching mat with it so that the litter doesn't get everywhere...

Also, Berlin stalks my cats..chases them, and even gets my idiot boy cat Mieko, who seems to think that one of these times Berlin will decide not to try and chew/shake him, but instead love him. (Mieko is a huge lover). I never leave them alone, but because Mieko is such an idiot, I frequently have to break them up, bc Berlin has him pinned down by the throat, or his biting his leg, or shaking him violently. Is this...normal? I have two cats, the other is very small, she is a female siamese. I just worry about when he gets bigger, if he'll ever be able to peacefully get along with them like my other dog does. (She hardly acknowledges them). Also, not sure why Mieko doesn't use his god given claws, he has them all. Clearly he is getting hurt? :confused:

You're right for not leaving them alone with this type of behavior. It's dangerous for poor kitty if shook too hard so IMO even though it's normal for a doggie to shake a prey that way, it isn't appropriate for a pet to be shaken or treated that way.

Last, Berlin had a nasty case of...mucus diarrhea, if I can even call it poop. It looked more like what comes out of your nose when your sick and blow it into a kleenex (sorry for the visual). He would strain for a while, and literally barely anything but a little blob would come out. Then he would strain again and clear mucus with specks of blood came out. He was at the vet thursday evening, they gave him lonox, and his poop came back negative for parvo, and they didnt see any coccidia. Well, thursday night i got maybe an hour of sleep, bc instead of his diarrhea getting less frequent, it got way worse. He was trying to go every half hour all night long. So, I called them and they put him on metro for possible giardia. An hour after his first dose he clearly was more active, not as lethargic, and then the next day he had semi solid stool, but it still was (and is) coated in mucus. Any idea if this sounds like giardia? His appetite is back and he seems perfectly normal besides his stool.

Thanks for any advice in advance :)
I wish you all the best :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
My neighbor had an old 17~ year old cat. It occasionally climbed our fence to stalk squirrels. I found Dolly eating the cat crap multiple times. I made her drop it when I found her doing so. I wrote it off as puppy-hood though, because she was also eating rocks, sticks, grass, toys, dirt/mud, ect. Thankfully she never ate her own crap nor has shown any interest. I don't think I could handle/stomach that. I haven't a clue if she would still eat cat crap because my neighbor ran over his cat a few months ago and the eating cat poo stopped with that.

She never had an issue with cats until she was playing with a cat and it scratched her face. She now is aggressive with cats and I would imagine she would kill one if she caught it. I don't like cats and this does not bother me all that much.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the advice. I have managed to teach him that eating poop is 'gross' and when he goes by it for a smell/attempt to get inside (I have it turned toward the wall now so only the cats can slink in and his big ol head cant :D) I tell him no, and he will walk away. Smart boy! We do keep the door closed to the bathroom when he is out also for the most part (thats where we keep the catbox), bc we have another cat box upstairs (although the cats refuse to use it, they're so wierd haha). So as of late, no poop eating! And he was tested negative for Giardia, although he was treated w/ Metro. So that whole ordeal is over. Thank goodness. He still stalks the cats...but has learned to stop at the stairs and let them run up there - he doesn't follow. So maybe he just wants to play with them, but is still a little too rough. My older dog is doing a wonderful job of teaching him bite inhibition and that the kitties are part of our pack. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts