German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm pulling my hair out right now.

Is it possible to teach him to leave the cat food, water and litter boxes alone or am I asking/expecting too much? I'm trying to teach him to "leave it" which he'll do for me during training but in real situations, it's not working (yet). I'm assuming he's viewing the litter and cat food as higher value rewards.

I'll be honest, I'm getting very frustrated. Is there a way to teach him to leave it or do I need to move these items out of his reach? I don't want to continue to correct him if I'm just sending him mixed signals.

Also, it isn't an issue of him being hungry or not having food since he has food in his bowl.

Please help! :help:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
cat food and litter boxes are gourmet food for dogs:)

I have my cat food bowl on a counter, another one with litter boxes in a spare room with a baby gate about a foot off the floor blocking the door.

My suggestion, move the temptation :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
for now move the cat food and litter. then use the cat food
and litter as a training distraction.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I would just move such a big temptation out of reach. We put a cat door into a hall closet and put the litter box in there. I don't free feed my cats, so I don't have the problem with the food, but many people put the food in a room with a baby gate or put it up on the washing machine/dryer, or have a cat door to the laundry room/similar room and put the litter and food in there.

·
Super Moderator
32,343 Posts
You are expecting too much. :) We turned our spare bedroom into the cat room with a baby gate across the doorway, so the cats can eat, use their litter box, and hang out without being pestered by the dogs. The cats can jump it to go in and out of their room, and the dogs respect the barrier.

How old is Luke and how long have you had him?

·
Super Moderator
32,343 Posts
Luke is only 8 weeks old, we just got him four days ago.
Well, there you go! Training takes time, and a young puppy has a very short attention span. It's possible that you'll be able to eventually train him not to litter box dive, but that would take many months of work, and he still might sneak a bite when you're not right there watching.

Cat food is going to be even more difficult. We did manage to train Sneaker many years ago that the kitty food was off limits but she also knew that food dropped on the kitchen floor was fair game. So she would bump the kitty dish until food jumped out onto the floor, and THEN she'd eat it, lol! :wild:

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Cat food is up, but litter boxes can be a problem. They don't go in them when I'm home, but I have come home to the litter box moved completely out from behind the couch, it must be an all day event to do that:crazy: When I move, I'm looking for a house with an extra room that will be a dedicated cat room where the dogs can't go or get into. Problem solved:D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My trainer said "leave it" was for that situation, if you aren't there to say it they will go for it again.

The cat food and box is blocked off so the cat can get in but not the dog. I will need to train him not to go in that room soon. He can just jump over the barrier now, he just doesn't know he can.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Yes, you're expecting too much. :)

We have four housecats. I gave up long ago trying to keep the dog out of the litter box... it's just way too good for any dog to resist. I have no idea why cat poop is so attractive to dogs, but it's like a gourmet treat!

The only thing you can do is keep the litterboxes and cat food out of reach.

But you know what? It's gross, but... it doesn't hurt the dog. It doesn't hurt the cat. It doesn't hurt me. The dog wants to clean the litterbox, and I really don't like that particular chore, so I did the math and the solution I came up with was this:

Let the dog clean the litter box.

Just don't come up and kiss me right afterward. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine is bad at it! Used to not be, over the last year, it is ridiculous. I have a baby gate in the hallway with pan in the closet, and now she will jump it to follow me and head straight to the kitty treats. I usually try to stop her, but sometimes I am busy and can't watch her. Oh well, less scooping for me.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Freestep - your post gave me a chuckle! :p

Thank you for everyone's input on the matter. I put up a pet gate between the doorway (to keep Luke in the living room) and set up the cats' food bowl and Drinkwell fountain in the hallway to keep it away from him. This will give the two cats a little more privacy too. The other day I caught Luke sneaking up on one of the cats while they were using the litter box. :nono: This should give the cats a little more peace while providing an extra escape route.

As soon as I put the pet gate up I felt my sanity coming back to me. No more running after Luke, I run this household, not him! I was getting tired of trying to teach him to stay away from the litter box and food bowl. I have my hands full trying to teach him, "no bite/chew" and trying to keep him from eating everything when we go outside without having to worry about this too! This solution also keeps him away from the stairs in the hallway which makes me very happy.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jumping the Pet Gate

Edit: This morning while my fiancé and I were out of the room (I ran upstairs for a minute and Mike was in the bedroom), Luke put his front paws up on the pet gate and jumped over the pet gate. I'll raise the pet gate a few inches off the ground to make this more difficult and we should be receiving another pet gate (which is higher) in the mail today.

He's not allowed on the furniture and he's been putting his front paws up on the couch when the cat's on the couch. This happens especially when he's following one of the cats and he/she jumps up on the couch to escape him. He wants to play with them but when he's too excited the cats jump away from him.

How can I teach him to stay off? I keep saying "off" and putting his front paws back on the ground and try to redirect his energy to a chew toy or stuffy. I also scruffed him once this morning, made eye contact and said, "no" sternly and "off". Am I doing this right? :eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm pulling my hair out right now.

Is it possible to teach him to leave the cat food, water and litter boxes alone or am I asking/expecting too much? I'm trying to teach him to "leave it" which he'll do for me during training but in real situations, it's not working (yet). I'm assuming he's viewing the litter and cat food as higher value rewards.

I'll be honest, I'm getting very frustrated. Is there a way to teach him to leave it or do I need to move these items out of his reach? I don't want to continue to correct him if I'm just sending him mixed signals.

Also, it isn't an issue of him being hungry or not having food since he has food in his bowl.

Please help! :help:

I whole heartedly don't think it's possible to get them to leave the cat food and litter box alone 100%.. No matter how much training. :rolleyes: I've spent time and time again trying to get my dog to leave it along, I even put the cat food up on an elevated counter, and bought an enclosed litter box. He just figured out he could jump up on the counter to get the food, and his skinny head would still fit into the enclosed litter box, so he could still litter surf. I finally had to resort to putting away the cat food during the day while I was gone and cleaning the box every morning before I left so all of the "prizes" from the night before were gone. This is the only method that has seemed to help in our situation.. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts