German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so we've had her about 2 weeks or so. She's about 11 weeks old. We've gotten her to stop chewing the kids toys completely and she now only nips at the kids if they RUN past her and she's "in the mood" lol. So things have drastically improved. BUT - She's been eating our carpet!!!

How on earth do we stop this behavior? She only goes for corners so right now we've just covered up all of the corners with boxes or big toys - and even the vacuum. LOL. However, it has our house looking pretty ridiculous. Is there a way to stop this? I plan on picking up some bitter apple spray stuff and spraying the carpet but will that work? I don't want to buy it unless it could since she doesn't bite anything else. She's getting bigger and is moving the stuff we've put over the spots. We tell her no and redirect her and it works but as soon as you turn around, she's back over there. I know it's a consistency thing but she's already destroyed the carpet in a few spots and we are going to have to replace it (but waiting until she stops and also stops pottying inside)

Pottying - she's doing pretty good - still going in the house every now and then. She's peeing outside about 98% of the time. Accidents inside for peeing are definitely our fault - not taking her out enough. She isn't giving us any clues - we just need to remember to take her out. LOL. It's usually while I'm cooking dinner that she pees in the house so I think I'll teach my 7 year old how to take her out on the leash in our fenced yard. We use the leash every time she goes to potty since she doesn't know "come" yet. LOL.

But pooping, she often will go outside and not poop, come inside and poop. Sometimes she'll poop outside and come inside and STILL poop inside. She always does it in the hall in front of the kids bedrooms at the very end of the hall. Once in a while she'll do it on the carpet under the piano. But it's definitely getting old. lol. But still improving some. About 2-3 times a day vs. the every single time like it was before. LOL.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
She's still very young. You'll be surprised with the potty training. One day she will have an "A HA!" moment and will finally understand. Until then, praise lavishly when she pees and poops outside.

Since it seems like she comes inside to poop, follow her around when she comes inside and when you see her getting into position make a loud noise. I do a high pitched scream type of noise, it's just to startle the pup, then pick her up and carry her outside and wait for her to finish outside. This might be tricky, some dogs are shy and will wait until you aren't looking, so you may have to spy. And don't yell in a mean tone at her, or she will really be afraid of pooping in your presence, and definitely will not understand.

For the carpet, you'll just have to keep an eye on her. She's found something fun and interesting and you'll either have to distract her or crate her. I have a dog that likes to tear at the drywall when I'm doing renovation and I have to prop up barriers to keep that one way from the stuff I know he'll love to get his teeth on. I think they like the ripping noise, too. LOL!

Don't worry, it's puppy-hood and you just have to make some sacrifices until it all comes together. And it will come together.

·
Registered
195 Posts
All great advice and I LOVE the tethering idea, I've just recently started this with my two...thankfully not to prevent problems, just a phase in their training.
I've seen in several places around the board this quote that always hits home with me.
"a tired puppy is a good puppy"
At this very moment my two are pooped out on the floor after spending the morning exploring the neighborhood, a couple of dog stores and the like.....
I realize not everyone has the luxury of being at home like me, and although I do spend a LOT of time with my puppies, I don't dedicate every waking moment to them. I do turn away with house things to have to do and I'm very active outside the home and sometimes they just can't come with me. In these cases, when they start acting up, getting too rough, running around just a little too much, stuff like that... it's outside for a walk. It redirects their energy and is good for me and the both of them. I haven't yet started the leisurely walks, each time it's a training walk stops, go's, turns, heel's... it keeps their mind busy and learning at the same time.
One of my old trainers used to bang me in the head with the fact that although physical exercise is great for the body, it's the mental exercise that's more exhausting to them. That's why I love teaching some of the "stupid" dog tricks, not every GSD needs to know "touch, high 5, roll over, pray...." but it helps maintain their stream of learning, concentration and definitely keeps them out of trouble in the house.

Even before you notice Alice getting into trouble, or you can see that she's eyeballing something she shouldn't be, redirect by taking a walk that's more mental for her than physical. There are a lot of stages your up against and I haven't even made it thru all of them, but I have learned how to manage them thus far.

As always, I LOVE seeing pictures of her, feel free to post some new ones :)

·
Banned
182 Posts
I had a breezeway with cement floors (ease of cleaning) as well as a large crate, I thought of it as a den/play-pen area for when I could not be with/watching my puppy. Nothing else was in this area except puppy & appropriate toys.
This was easier cleaning than my house, & nothing to destroy.
But I did sweep & mop it with disinfectant dailey.

Also, she first started coming into the house when the weather got colder, & she was older (about 9 months) & always under my supervision, with appropriate toys & always after exercise = tired German Shepherd is a Good German Shepherd.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My German/Australian Shephard had the same problem with the carpet for a while, my fix was to get more rawhide bones for her to chew on that tasted better than the carpet. Even hard wood sticks kept her busy and from thinking about the carpet, shoes, trash, etc.. Like stated earlier, he/she will hopefully have an "A ha" moment soon!

·
Registered
216 Posts
With my little guy if I can't watch him 100% of the time he is in his crate. It gives me peace of mind and I Can relax a little.
Just think if his next flavor of the day is an electrical cord!

I sacrificed my whole summer to be with my puppy and am very happy to have done so.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I tethered Uschi when she was about 6 mos old and I was at my wit's end with her. She thought everything was hers to chew or destroy, paid little attention to me, could not focus even though I was training and exercising- all the right things. The tethering worked miracles within days. She found her place and was happy to live within the parameters. Give it a try over the weekend

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Zoe destroyed 3 area rugs and our couch,lol with me in the room:D The couch she awoke from a nap and just jumped up and literally tore a chunk out of it....the area rugs happened slowly over time. It would start as a little string she'd tug on, more, and more until they were ruined as well. She only had 2 pee accidents in the house and no pooping at all but we were on her. Believe me many more things will be chewed before this stage is over. Zoe is better than she was but definitely still capable of reeking havoc if she's left out:)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I have had carpet eaters too. Just redirect to something else and use bitter apple!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use cinnamon as a deterrent to chewing.

Its a little hot yes but smells nice for me and stops my little guy from getting into my houseplants. He likes the dirt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts