German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this cow that I have here, or at least it turns out that he for sure was a cow in the last life, eats grass like, well a cow. He also eats dirt. I know that puppies explore all with their mouths but he is half the time running after a ball I throw to divert to a piece of dirt or grass to lay down and start chewing on it. Calling attempts are only partially successful. It is slowly to starting to damage my calm. The only thing that keeps him of the grass is if I run around like a madman arms swinging and jumping like a antilope where any psychologist that would see it would probably give me his card, but still, this dog's constant obsession with grass and dirt, is getting annoying. He eats normal, he has normal excretion etc, but it seems he enjoys grassing away and eating dirt just as much as playing around and that enrages me.

Any suggestions ? Or is this still normal ?

In other bad news, I had to fish a cockroach out of his mouth and a big one in the middle of the night when he went peeing, I saw something black on the garden stones which was big, but I was half a sleep. He picked it up and I heard "crunch crunch and then I realized I got no crunch crunch vegetations etc laying around....."

lovely.....:mad:

·
Registered
40 Posts
How old is your boy? My Bernie is just over 7 months old, and he recently stopped eating dirt, rocks, and poop. (That's right - his own feces.) I've read on this very forum stories from other GSD owners who have had to put up with similar situations. While it doesn't seem normal to us humans, it may just be a phase for your dog to go through.

Does your dog consistently respond to "leave it?" I had some success with that command when Bern would try to recycle his poop.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the frog is 11 weeks old atm, please tell me it is normal. He does listen to the OFF command, well at least momentarily. As soon as I start walk away he is chewing on it again. Sometimes, I have to carry him away, is that normal ?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I guess my first question would be what are you feeding him? And are you feeding him enough?

Eating bugs is pretty common, from what I've read on this forum. Gross, but not harmful, unless they are trying to eat a scorpion or something!

I have a grass eater here too, but not obsessively like you describe. It sounds like you are doing right by acting like a loony to get his attention. Maybe you also need to experiment a bit more to find a toy he really loves, something interactive. Reward him for leaving the grass/dirt alone when you have taught him the "leave it" command.

Try to calm down too. No point in getting enraged over a puppy who doesn't know better. Hopefully others will add advice too. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Teach him the "leave it command".
Jake ate rocks, dirt, pebbles....anything he could get his mouth on while we went for walks...sometimes he was like a chipmunk packing it in there and then just look up at me saying"what"? I'd say "drop it" and when he opened his mouth a variety of things fell out! Just yesterday at OB class he was trying to catch and "kill" a fly....he was totally distracted for a minute over it. He is 8.5 months.;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
well I cant say where it fits in the Normalcy scale..but I've to agree based on what I;ve read and what I see in my puppy that could be termed normal. Zorro (9weeks) eats grass and his latest obsession is roots. We've Ivy in our backyard that he loved to shred apart. he like it so much that now he has started digging around plants to get to the roots !!

He too was a poop eater (that's how he got coccidia in the first place at the breeder's kennel). That is mercifully stopped with a lot of constant supervision, diversion (yes running around like a madman)

So, I'm inclined to believe these are all normal behavior since such a large number of us have observed this in our puppies

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he is eating royal canine maxi jr plus. That is the best I can get him, since in some countries like mine, we do not have that many variety. He loves his food.
I also realized that he actually goes after the grass roots. Today I must say, he did a great job. Although my constant off commands work for a few seconds he only made about 12 holes in the garden today. Now he found out to eat pieces of wood from tree trunks... he today also ate a spider. Actually he stepped on it first and when the thing was half dead and moving in a circle, he ate it. He also ate some flowers. What got his attention was a butterfly that he failed to catch, then he let the fury out on the flowers.

What gets on me is that he often prefers that stuff over exercise. The OFF command works, he looks at me but still lays there. When I want to carry him away, he at least lets me and if I do not carry him far enough, he goes obsessed back to eat the root of the grass.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
OMG i just about died reading your post. Sidenote: it all sounds normal. its a puppy. Like babies have to taste everything they touch. Pretty normal. Gross but typical.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Yep, Max ate grass, dirt, rocks, mulch. He grew out of it, you just have to keep an eye open and correct it by offering something else. If you can not get different food perhaps you can add some raw to the diet.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
When I was a baby I ate a cockroach too.

my husband used to snails off his back fence when he was two.... escargo anyone? (yuck!)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Sounds pretty normal....even the kid stories!

My 4 month old loves to grab a mouthful of dirt to chomp,pulls up great clumps of grass and roots, and grabs a poo occassionally. She is fed LB Orijen, Honest Kitchen and raw. Yes, she gets good food and still dines on nature in the yard.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would have to say its perfectly normal. My GSD is 18 months old and will still eat some grass, a little dirt and whatever else she can find in the yard. LOL I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Dexter loves rocks, the bigger the better. And logs, too. He knows "drop it," but sometimes that not a good idea because he'll immediately drop a huge rock on the wood floor and I start looking for dents. All my dogs like to chew on bark. Renee, I just realized I added a month to Dexter's age on another thread. He's almost 9 months old, not 10. Since Jake is four days older, your post jogged my bad memory. Maybe it's because Dexter is still in training in Alabama and I haven't seen him in a few weeks. :(

·
Registered
636 Posts
I know other people said it already...but teach 'drop it' and 'leave it'
Minna is 6months old and she'll drop anything she has in her mouth when I tell her to. Her 'leave it' command is pretty strong, just working on being outside and her ignoring distractions now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts