German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have limited time in morning before work. Is it best to walk dog wait 30 minutes and feed them or feed them wait 30 minutes and the walk,generally go mile at slow pace.

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
I would feed first so the dog could have a chance to eliminate before being confined for the day.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My morning routine is walk first and feeding shortly after that. Food is not going to digest in 30 minutes. I'm no expert but I think bigger concern with bloat is if any heavy exercise (running) is done before/after meal time. I don't think a mile walk for a GSD before or after a feeding is going to be a high risk for causing bloat, but I would be wrong.

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
My morning routine is walk first and feeding shortly after that. Food is not going to digest in 30 minutes. I'm no expert but I think bigger concern with bloat is if any heavy exercise (running) is done before/after meal time. I don't think a mile walk for a GSD before or after a feeding is going to be a high risk for causing bloat, but I would be wrong.
And there's the thing some say yes, some say no??

I think the most important factor is "Genetic Predisposition??" I have only owned "Bloat Prone Breeds" and my policy is an hour before or an hour after.

It's always worked for me thus ... far but it could be that I've just never had a dog with a "Predisposition" to Bloat??? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
I was also under the impression that strenuous exercise before and after a meal made conditions ripe for bloat.My dogs will eliminate shortly after a meal just because it gets their digestive system working and they are getting rid of the waste from the meal the evening before.That's our schedule anyway:)

·
Banned
7,657 Posts
Reference is always made to the Cornell study, it was online but last I looked it was gone?? Now you see "references" to the actual study?? But I did see "Genetic Predisposition" as a possibility??

I food and water and intake of air I think was also a factor so I don't let "Rocky" drink a lot of water before or after a meal ... usually that is "exactly" when he wants to drink a lot of water. :mad:

·
Registered
245 Posts
A walk? Probably shouldn't worry about that. Wolves don't exactly sit in the same spot after they eat.

Jumping, running, and strenuous exercise is different, though. For me, he has to wait an hour after super crazy fun time, or wait 2 hours after eating to be running around.

For your situation, I'd just let your dog outside to go potty while you get a few small things done inside, bring inside for food, and then the walk, with a chance to go, if needed, at the end. I'm assuming your dog isn't lunging & pulling towards squirrels, so the walk shouldn't be any issue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Double check this with a vet, but from what i know, never exercise a dog after eating till at least 2 hours later as that may contribute to cause bloat which is deadly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts