German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had heard mixed reviews about the easy walk harness, but decided to try it out of desperation and frustration. Mia was awful on a leash - constantly pulling, jumping, choking herself. We used training techniques paired various types of collars and two different facial harnesses - She was un-phased by all of it.

We bought the Easy-Walk harness the other day, and for her last half-dozen walks, incredible. She's walking like she's known how to her entire life, and I'm beyond thrilled. It fits her very well, she doesn't even notice that it's on. She walks right next to me completely slack-leashed. She doesn't even try to pull when she sees another dog or person, she walks to the end of the leash, when she feels the tug she backs right back up.

Long story short, I am loving the Easy-Walk harness.
There isn't a huge point to this thread, I guess, I'm just incredibly happy. :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have an easy walk front hook harness. Made the difference immediately. Gunther would choke himself to death just on a flat collar and walking him was a pain. After months of trying the "heel" with a flat collar I gave in and bought the harness. No more tugging or choking and the two months of training the heel position paid off when he got the harness.

We tried my mother in laws gentle leader when Gunther was a puppy and all he would do is roll around on the groumd pawing his muzzle...

Glad to hear another person using a harness with success :) Good job :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We tried my mother in laws gentle leader when Gunther was a puppy and all he would do is roll around on the groumd pawing his muzzle...

Glad to hear another person using a harness with success :) Good job :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
That's all Mia would do when we tried the Gentle Leader. It worked for maybe one walk, but that was still with constant head shaking. The moment she touched grass she would start rolling and flailing on the ground. She would also still jump around if she saw people or dogs. It was miserable trying to take her on walks. :(

Very glad I tried this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kuma likes the harness, but I've noticed it's rubbing on her a bit underneath her front legs. Is it a fitting issue?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I use it on my pup while we are still training loose leash walking. I use the EZ walk whenever I am not specifically working on walking with her. When the flat collar goes on the walks are not nearly as fun. She has been improving walking with the flat collar but the EZ walk makes for much more fun walks when we are not training.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Kuma likes the harness, but I've noticed it's rubbing on her a bit underneath her front legs. Is it a fitting issue?
Not exactly. Chafing/fur breakage is the most common drawback of walking your dog in a harness. It means the dog is still pulling at least a little bit.

Pongu used to pull a lot and would chafe his fur in a couple of specific spots when I first started him on an EasyWalk. To solve the issue, I rotated between an EasyWalk and a Freedom Harness. They both have chafe points (any harness will eventually have a chafe point if your dog pulls in it) but they're not the same ones, so if I switched up the harnesses every few days, it eliminated the problem.

After a while he quit pulling and it's not a problem anymore.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not exactly. Chafing/fur breakage is the most common drawback of walking your dog in a harness. It means the dog is still pulling at least a little bit.

Pongu used to pull a lot and would chafe his fur in a couple of specific spots when I first started him on an EasyWalk. To solve the issue, I rotated between an EasyWalk and a Freedom Harness. They both have chafe points (any harness will eventually have a chafe point if your dog pulls in it) but they're not the same ones, so if I switched up the harnesses every few days, it eliminated the problem.

After a while he quit pulling and it's not a problem anymore.
This is very good to know. We haven't had it long so we haven't had any chafing issues yet, so I might go ahead and buy the Freedom Harness so that won't be a future problem. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Congrats on having success with the harness. I use one also (the Walk In Sync) and it has made a world of difference. I haven't had any problem with chafing - but I do recall reading in one of the past threads, about using a steering wheel cover (the sheepskin kind) and cutting that and slipping it over the part that is causing the chafing.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I loved the easy walk harness. It made a dramatic improvement on our walks. Sadly she must still pull because after a 45 minute walk I noticed it rubbed her raw in her arm pit. After a couple time of it doing it in the same place I don't ever use it unless we go to the store or something quick. After a 45 minute walk it would cut into the skin in her arm Pitt.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I loved the easy walk harness. It made a dramatic improvement on our walks. Sadly she must still pull because after a 45 minute walk I noticed it rubbed her raw in her arm pit. After a couple time of it doing it in the same place I don't ever use it unless we go to the store or something quick. After a 45 minute walk it would cut into the skin in her arm Pitt.
I tried the easy walk harness first and it just didn't fit my Sting well - I had to have it too tight and it still slipped down on the chest. That is why I went to the walk in sync . It does cost more - but has a little different style and so can fit loose - I have had no trouble with chafing. It holds up well and is strong - my Sting is 130 lbs. Also imo, the harness alone isn't enough - it is simply a training tool so the free training video downloads were a great help. I think the success is that one day in a hurry, after I had put his harness on - I clipped the leash to Sting's flat collar - and took him for his walk. Got back - unclipped the leash and was surprised it was on the collar - he walked just as well :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts