German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4-mo. old Shiloh Shepherd love to pull on her leash when I walk her. I recently purchased an Easy-Walk harness, but I'm having a lot of difficulty fitting it to her properly. The directions show a comatose puppy standing perfectly still for a perfect fit. My puppy rolls over, bites on the straps, and makes it impossible to even try for a good fit...even with treats and praise. Any suggestions other than sticking to her flat collar and leash?

·
Super Moderator
3,877 Posts
My 4-mo. old Shiloh Shepherd love to pull on her leash when I walk her. I recently purchased an Easy-Walk harness, but I'm having a lot of difficulty fitting it to her properly. The directions show a comatose puppy standing perfectly still for a perfect fit. My puppy rolls over, bites on the straps, and makes it impossible to even try for a good fit...even with treats and praise. Any suggestions other than sticking to her flat collar and leash?
Marker train her to walk on a loose leash. Teach her what appropriate walking behavior is instead of expecting her to already know, and causing her discomfort for something she doesn't understand.

A clicker is cheaper than that harness for sure.

David Winners

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maybe you could get somebody to hold an awesome treat that takes a while to eat (like a turkey jerky piece or marrow bone?) to distract her while you adjust? They have to be standing, too, otherwise there's no way! If you don't have a "feeder" to help, maybe take it back where you got it and ask somebody there to do the bribing? My trainer helped me, took her about 4 seconds, but then again she's a professional;) It's worth it, in my opinion - that harness has really helped us. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I had a similar problem with Jinks. Having someone feeding him hotdogs while I fit the harness worked well. It's definitely a two person job with a squirmy dog. As far as no-pull harnesses, I didn't prefer the Easy Walk as it jacked up his back from pulling; he always looked twisted:

I liked the Freedom Harness better since it hooked from the top at the withers (rather than in the front at the chest). Even so, the no-pull harnesses have had little affect on his pulling.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Marker train her to walk on a loose leash. Teach her what appropriate walking behavior is instead of expecting her to already know, and causing her discomfort for something she doesn't understand.

A clicker is cheaper than that harness for sure.

David Winners

4 months is kinda young to have loose-leash walking down, I think, and the pup still needs exercise! There's not any discomfort with this harness, it simply has the leash attachment at the sternum so that if the dog pulls, she just gets steered back toward the handler. Not disagreeing with the training, just that this a is very helpful, painless tool to be used until training is further along.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try enlisting the help of at least 2 people, one of whom is a trainer, and hopefully we'll be able to get a good fit. I am using a clicker and treats to get her to "watch me" as we walk, but a squirrel and other dogs are infinitely more interesting than me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And she DOES get lots of exercise off-leash in our large, fenced-in back yard. She runs around the pond and pool, chases bugs and moths, sniffs out unknown critters, and tramples anything shorter than she is. She comes on command, lies down, sits, chases and retrieves toys, shakes paw, and heels for short distances, all with clicker and treat. A tired puppy is a happy puppy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts