German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My now 11 month old GSD female seems like she has some digestive issues, from what im reading its not a rare thing, that GSD's normally have sensitive stomach's, however my last one did not.

So, i called the Vet and she recommended Science Diet for Sensitive Stomach and Skin....i dont care for the rating that food gets or the ingredients and i feel she was pushing it because its right outside the rooms where the dogs go in. Anyway, i did some digging and read reviews and its seems although not terribly favorable Purina Pro Plan seems to be the way to go. Ingredients arent horrible and my sister actually uses it for her Collie, his coat is really nice and he isnt overweight. I give Abbey probiotics/digestive enzyme every day in the AM...i had just switched her from Nutro Ultra puppy to Nutro Ultra LB adult formula, i like that it has the glucosamine and chondrointin in it for her joints etc.

So my question is, can i mix?...i mean im sure i can, but will she get the full effect of each food?...or is it better to just give one food to get the complete nutrition value and to help with the sensitivities?...Also, the gas was getting out of control...so thats another reason why the Vet suggested a SS formula. Any suggestions out there?...opinions?
When i feed her, she gets 2 cups in the AM/PM...with some wet food...a tablespoon or so, and some fresh carrots cut up....she loves carrots. Some days she eats both meals other days she eats one really good meal?...maybe a sign of her getting older?...My last GSD ate once a day with snacks in the AM and food (dinner)in the PM...she did just fine....i know they are all different, but is the one year mark sort of when that all changes as far as feeding 2X a day?
Gas isnt as bad, and she eats the mix, but moving forward want a little more information about her getting the nutrition she needs.

For those of you who have seen my other posts, i have stopped stressing over ears, they arent going to do anything...she is who she is...i tried everything, although some days they stand, its for seconds...and its nice to see....but she has very large ears and i doubt at this point they are going anywhere...at least i would be able to pick her out if a lineup...LOL

Lorraine;)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If her current food is the issue, giving it in any amount will probably mean she will continue to have symptoms. You can transition over, but I would at some point go completely with the food you've chosen to switch to. That way you can ascertain if it helps her or not or if she will need to be switched again at some point.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK on LB food...what do you feed if you dont mind me asking...what do you think about the Purina Pro plan for SS for her allergy issues, or do you know of another?

Lorraine

any ideas for gas?

·
Registered
237 Posts
For the digestive issues, you can try switching to a limited ingredient food.. There are several brands that make LID options.. It just depends on how much you want to spend.. I'll name a few that are on the "premium" side, and a few that are middle of the road but better than Purina and Hills.
Premium: Nature's Variety, Nutrisca, Pure Vita
Middle of the road: Blue Buffalo, Nutro, Natural Balance

She may be having issues with the food being too "rich", so perhaps trying a food with 1 protein source and/or a novelty carb would be good.

As for the ears, I'm sure you've tried this, but give her LOTS of stuff to chew on. Nylabones, teething toys, etc. Also, I know it's not always a favorable approach, but have you considered taping/glueing her ears? That might help get them in the erect position and then add to that things she can chew on so she can build the cartiledge/muscle to keep them up.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I had one dog who did well on Purina O.N.E. Sensitive Systems but he is the only one who needed something speical. One thing I found with him was he could not tolerate chicken....once we got past the chicken he did quite well. I hated the ingredient list but it worked for him.....at some point.......

I would be inclined to try other LID foods first though.....

Do you give her digestive enzymes? Prozyme is good. I also soak the food before I give it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i do give her a Digestive Probiotic/Enzyme every morning...she was on Nutro Ultra as a pup, then i switched to LB Nutro...i will look into the Sensitive Formula, thanks to all who answered.

Lorraine

i did try to tape her ears, glue them , strips, moleskin etc...she has plenty to chew on, but her ears seem X-Large...hey you never know....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts