German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if the East German Shepherd lines DDR and he's a sable ( I don't have all the lingo down so bare with me ) I just wondered if there is anything online about what their personalities generally are ?

Duke is very sweet, no aggression but wild and tears things up a lot. He gets lots of exercise & treadmill work. Someone mentioned to me that he will be hyper like this until he's close to 2 so then it got me wondering about it so thought I'd ask here LOL.

Hope this makes some sort of sense LOL.

We have had another GSD but he was a black & tan, so far between the 2 all I can say is he's definitely a different dog LOL.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Brenna is DDR but from what I have heard her personality is not the norm (or a very sought after one). She is very soft and skittish with no drive. From what I've heard most DDR's are drivey with hard temperments and endless energy.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Kiki is DDR and she has an endless amount of energy- will play and run around for ever- and has a very high prey drive- chases anything that moves. I guess it could all depend on the dog and its line of breeding it comes from too.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess he falls into that high strung stage. He's great when he wants to be but other times watch out! Still love him of course as he's my "baby" at 8 1/2 months old.

I went to take some pics of him today and he's always been a hard pic taker, as soon as he saw the camera out he was moving. He was barking at me & wouldn't sit or stay in his command long enough to get a good pic, maybe its the flash but he must know what I am doing.

Today was shower day, did GREAT but then after wards we paid, he was tugging on the towel bars & shaking his wet body on us.
Gotta love him but the little devil child LOL.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Your pup is still young to be doing much of anything on a treadmill. Hikes and walks are ok, but a treadmill is forced and repetitive. Keep him off it till he's 13-14 months old at the bare minimum.

DDR dogs are all over the board. A lot are being bred just for the look and are soft with bad nerves and little drive. Some are extremely serious and tough with high aggression, and then others are well balanced. You can't really go too much by the generic "lines", in nearly all of the german lines there is a HUGE variety. Can you post a pedigree?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
PHGSD is right. There does seem to be some physical characteristics that are still quite prevalent(like bone, heads, short upper arms, stocky build), but temperamentwise they run the gamut . Very often when I see a dog I can say that dog has a lot of DDR because of physical traits to include color/pigment, but other than that the temp is very varied at this point. They also are characteristically very slow to mature, sometimes taking to 4 years old to show strength in the working aspect.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
My dog is Czech.. is that another flavor altogether? He has the big fat head, chunky bones, dark sable coloring, and MUCH immature for his age. He has medium drive (I know, I know.. people think ALL Czech dogs are off-the-charts extreme drive.. not so), medium energy, nerves of kryptonite (thrilled with fireworks, chainsaws, jackhammers). EXTREME in only one way: super-affectionate/cuddly/social. How in the world dogs like this could live in a kennel baffles me, so, I doubt all DDR or Czech dogs are this snuggle-seeking.I think all Czech dogs MUST be different, like DDR dogs.. lots of variability. Even the 'thunderbuns' (big bones) doesn't seem consistant with all the DDR or Czech, some can be streamlined, zippy things, others are the more currently popular 'brick house' build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts