German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

My GS is 7mo's.
She is well behaved, and of course is still learning some manners.

I understand that GSD's are generally vocal dogs, however whenever I take my kids out with her the moment that they're too far ahead (and she's still on leash), she starts her high pitch bark / yelp.
I try to reassure that they're ok, however she's so fixated on the fact that they're over there while shes stuck back here. I'll even be sitting at a bench taking my daughter to the playground and because the dog can't go with my daughter she's very vocal even though my daughter may be just 10 feet away.

Any suggestions as to how to reduce that anxiety?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Time and repititions will help. If it were me I'd also mark the behavior with your negative marker, whatever that is, to let her know you disapprove. But give it time, don't expect her to settle immediately.

ETA: Stop soothing her when she acts like that. Ignore it or tell her to knock it off, but don't reasure/comfort her. You want her to learn that the behavior is unnecessary and unwanted.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Definitely don’t reassure her at all. Completely ignore the behavior. I personally wouldn’t correct a dog who is already having anxiety. I don’t think adding to a dogs anxiety fixed anything.

Instead work on separation anxiety drills. I would leave my house 25 times in a row. My dog had the worst separation anxiety ever and now she stares at me blankly when I leave the house. Have your kids run off and come back every day many many times (good exercise for the kids, huh? ?)

Sounds like a great dog though that loves your kids!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts