German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeding my 2 year old Earthborn coastal catch ..Just wondering if theres enough protein and neutron in the fish type of foods or if I should switch to an earthborn meat type food such as great plains feast or primitive?
Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
How much protein is listed on the bag? Most kibble is balanced to provide the correct amount though depending on the meat source protein amounts can vary. Personally I like to switch up the protein source every month with my dogs. One month may be chicken, then beef, then fish, then venison, ect... That's why I like a brand with a number of different varieties to switch to. Also I don't think you need to worry about the subatomic particles in dog food too much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so it wont bother my dog if i use a beef based eartborn mix next time..and if i do should i slowly mix in the beef with the fish for a few meals ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Agree with Bramble.

Rotation of varieties within the brand you choose to use will provide varied nutrients, as long as you do not have a dog with a sensitive gut.

I saw in another thread that your dog is just getting over a bout of diarrhea.

Always do a transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

I would also suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut, it is very important to keep it healthy.

Below are Human Ingredient Products:
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo: http://www.feedsentials.com/home
Gut Sense (ProBiotic): http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense

Moms :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes he is just getting over this ..right now i just got him on boiled chicken and rice along with plain yogurt..

i wasn't going to try a beef earthborn product for at least a month ..

as for probiotic..i usually add 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt to food or pumpkin..i usually switch that up monthly also .
are those ok for probiotics?

thanks for all help with food..

just curious ..also how much food per day ..schedule now is 1.5 cups about 9am and about 2 cups at 7pm

Agree with Bramble.

Rotation of varieties within the brand you choose to use will provide varied nutrients, as long as you do not have a dog with a sensitive gut.

I saw in another thread that your dog is just getting over a bout of diarrhea.

Always do a transition with small amounts of new food mixed with old, taking a week or two to change. If stool get loose, go back to previous amount fed (where stool was solid) and hold at that amount for a few days until his gut gets use to it. Then increase again. This is called "bowel tolerance".

I would also suggest a high quality Digestive Enzyme (helps to assimilate food) & a ProBiotic (keeps the "good" bacteria in the gut). Since about 75% of the immune system lies in the gut, it is very important to keep it healthy.

Below are Human Ingredient Products:
Sunday Sundae (Digestive Enzyme & Pro-Biotic Combo: http://www.feedsentials.com/home
Gut Sense (ProBiotic): http://dr-dobias-natural-healing-usa...ducts/gutsense

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Pumpkin is a fiber that can help with loose stools. It is not a probiotic.

Most Yogurt is processed so it doesn't contain the culture's that are needed. You need a REAL probiotic (the products that need refrigeration are the best ones IMHO). A mixture of strains will benefit the body (instead of just 1 or 2 strains in a product).

You could also try a high quality Raw Fermented Goat's Milk or Raw Fermented Goat Milk Keifer which can be found a a local health food store (NOT GNC) or Whole Foods.

I would stick with 1 of the Earthborn products for several weeks before rotating to another, since he is just getting over a gut upset.

You need to go by the "Feeding Guidelines" of any brand of dog food, then adjust, if need be. They are all different.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I asked my vet about those 2 and he said no ..use floriaforta ,,and my vet don't sell it ,i had to get it on line

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
I asked my vet about those 2 and he said no ..use floriaforta ,,and my vet don't sell it ,i had to get it on line
Canine Fortiflora by Purina - Ingredients: Animal digest, Enterococcus faecium, L-ascorbyl- 2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, beta-Carotene, salt, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite. B-4582

http://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/CentersOffices/OfficeofFoods/CVM/CVMFOIAElectronicReadingRoom/ucm129134.htm = “There appear to be associations between rendered or hydrolyzed ingredients and the presence of pentobarbital in dog food. The ingredients Meat and Bone Meal (MBM), Beef and Bone Meal (BBM), Animal Fat (AF), and Animal Digest (AD) are rendered or hydrolyzed from animal sources that could include euthanized animals”.

To my knowledge, this statement has not been retracted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts