German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been using the Ocean Fusion and Primitive Natural formulations for training treats for Shasta and she really loves them. When the bag is open on the kitchen counter, she prances around and begs just like she does when she smells raw beef!

Is anyone feeding this or does anyone have any feed back on this food? Can anyone offer an opinion on how old Shasta would need to be to switch to this food? She's almost 8 months now.

Home : Earthborn Holistic Pet Food

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
We've been using the Ocean Fusion and Primitive Natural formulations for training treats for Shasta and she really loves them. When the bag is open on the kitchen counter, she prances around and begs just like she does when she smells raw beef!

Is anyone feeding this or does anyone have any feed back on this food? Can anyone offer an opinion on how old Shasta would need to be to switch to this food? She's almost 8 months now.

Home : Earthborn Holistic Pet Food
It is made by Midwestern Pet Foods in an EU Certified facility. MPF is a good company that has been making premium pet foods for a long time, far longer than Orijen.

The company also makes Pro Pac which I have used and SportMix which is a favorite with hunting dog owners.

I was sent a few 1lb samples of Primitve last year and it appeared like a very good food. It is very high in calories so be light with it.

I don't see any reason why your 8 month old couldn't eat this food. Just watch the dogs weight and feed less. I know there will be emotional responses about calcium but I doubt your dog will consume anymore calcium than on a bland LBD formula.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I might look into it. I'm feeding Orijen and Stosh really needs to add some weight, so he could use a higher calorie food

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I might look into it. I'm feeding Orijen and Stosh really needs to add some weight, so he could use a higher calorie food

i tried it for a few months. i actually had to feed more of it than the orijen i had been feeding. i found this odd since it claims 700+ calories per cup. i quit using it primarily because kimba's fur was getting dry and brittle on the primitive natural.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Then don't use a GF at all. Use a 30/20 style performance kibble with rice
and/or corn, whole grains. Higher fat and higher protein will not put weight on a dog.

You are in Texas right, then Precise should be available pretty easily. Your dog will have a better coat as well.

If you wanna see your dog glow, use Pro Pac HP for 4 weeks and you will see how good he looks. I would recommend Annamaet Ultra but you would have to buy it online.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is made by Midwestern Pet Foods in an EU Certified facility. MPF is a good company that has been making premium pet foods for a long time, far longer than Orijen.

The company also makes Pro Pac which I have used and SportMix which is a favorite with hunting dog owners.

I was sent a few 1lb samples of Primitve last year and it appeared like a very good food. It is very high in calories so be light with it.

I don't see any reason why your 8 month old couldn't eat this food. Just watch the dogs weight and feed less. I know there will be emotional responses about calcium but I doubt your dog will consume anymore calcium than on a bland LBD formula.
Thanks for your feedback. We just bought a couple of bags of the Nupro LBP that we've been feeding, so we'll probably go ahead and start the switch when we're partway into that second bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts