German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over here in OZ we don't have many grain free diets available. Royal Canin is considered the top kibble on our market.
The place where I buy our dog food is stocking Earthborn now. I see it comes from over there. I bought a bag of the "Coastal Catch"....dogs love it two days in.

Is this considered a quality dog food over there or are we still just getting the run if the mill type food over here?

It is slightly more expensive than RC but not much more. I pay $120 for a 12kg bag of this but the same for RC which is a 15kg bag so not really worried about the cost.....is it better than RC??

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Well your dogs like it , so I suggest you give it a try :) You could also compare the 2 package labels to see how they differ.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Over here in OZ we don't have many grain free diets available. Royal Canin is considered the top kibble on our market.
The place where I buy our dog food is stocking Earthborn now. I see it comes from over there. I bought a bag of the "Coastal Catch"....dogs love it two days in.

Is this considered a quality dog food over there or are we still just getting the run if the mill type food over here?

It is slightly more expensive than RC but not much more. I pay $120 for a 12kg bag of this but the same for RC which is a 15kg bag so not really worried about the cost.....is it better than RC??

Just FYI:
Royal Canin will now be using Chicken BY-PRODUCTS in their food! http://www.truthaboutpetfood2.com/Ro...ByProducts.pdf

There is a difference:
AAFCO definition Chicken/Poultry Meal
“Poultry Meal is the dry rendered product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of poultry or a combination thereof, exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.”

AAFCO definition Chicken/Poultry By-Product Meal
“Poultry By-Product Meal consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines (poop and parasites!eeeek!), exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as MIGHT occur unavoidably in good processing practices.”

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Dog food advisor has it listed as 5 stars. I was looking at this myself at Aslin finch, can't remember the price, but it is less expensive than what I'm buying now. I'm going to pick some up next time I go by there.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I love EH... Have been feeding it for about a year now with great success.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I have been using it for about 3 years now I guess....no problems with it....

Lee

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I wanted to like it since its so reasonably priced but even just putting a little bit into my dogs existing kibble gave him major runs and put him off kibble... I had to feed him raw for awhile because he would not touch any kibble after trying to switch him to EH. It was just my GSD though, my other dogs did fine on it. I think it is a pretty decent food though for the price!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies :)

Dogs are loving it so will stick with I think. Might try the primitive one with the wolf on the front though next time as it seems to have more "meat" less other things.

Nigel....had a look at that Dog food Advisor.......great info....most of the foods over here were on it. Surprised about RC at only 3 stars.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Just started by dogs on it-after evo was recalled and then the other I was buying -both my dogs are doing well on it too

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Mine have been on it for a couple of years (along with raw) and they do great on it. I rotate all but the coastal catch...my pack doesn't like fish. I think it's a much better food than RC.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Thanks for the replies :)
Surprised about RC at only 3 stars.
Here is another surprise about Royal Canin.......They are producing a Special Formula made out of FEATHERS......YES......FEATHERS!
This is an article by Dr. Karen Becker: Beware of the New Anallergenic Dog Foods with Feather Meal

Here are a few excerpts:
Royal Canin’s Anallergenic Dry dog food formula lists the following two ingredients at the top of the list: corn starch and hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate [feather meal]. Corn starch is the primary ingredient in this formula. Corn starch is nothing more than filler, and if you read here regularly you know that corn in any form is an ingredient I always recommend avoiding in pet food. It’s notoriously allergenic, and is very often genetically modified. The next ingredient on the list is “hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate,” which is a technical name for feather meal. According to Levy, feather meal is “not only nutritious but can also be made very palatable to dogs.” The feathers are broken down to an amino acid level, and palatizers are added for taste. The biological value of feathers is zero, meaning the protein from feather meal cannot be used by the cells of your pet’s body.
Another problem with feather meal is described in a recently published study titled "Feather Meal: A Previously Unrecognized Route for Reentry into the Food Supply of Multiple Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products (PPCPs)." Researchers found antimicrobials (antibiotics) in every feather meal sample tested (a total of 12), with up to 10 different drugs in some samples. Samples from China had the greatest number of antimicrobials. In addition to the antibiotics, seven other PPCPs were found in the feather meal samples. Caffeine and acetaminophen (Tylenol) were found in 10 of the 12 samples, and 1,7-dimethylxantine, a metabolite of caffeine, was in 7 of the 12. Other drugs found in the samples included an anti-depressant (Prozac), a fungicide/antiparasitic, an antihistamine (Benadryl), and norgestimate (a synthetic sex hormone).
Keith Levy, President of Royal Canin USA, believes we should focus on health outcomes versus ingredients. Well, Mr. Levy, current health outcomes of feeding non human-grade, biologically inappropriate ingredients include maldigestion, malabsorption, nutrient deficiency in the face of obesity, organ and metabolic dysfunction, and immune dysfunction (both cancer and auto-immmune disease).

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
After trying several different brands of dry food and canned for Hans, trying to find something that would not cause diarrhea, we have settled on Earthborn Holistic Grain Free (Great Plains Feast) dry and Merrick Cowboy Cookout canned. I still have to add digestive enzymes to every meal, but I am pretty sure I would have to no matter what food he eats. This seems to be an all around good combo for him. He seems to enjoy eating it too. I would love to feed him raw as I think it is the very best diets for both cats and dogs. I have fed raw to one of my cats and it worked very well, but right now I am traveling quite a bit for work (Hans goes with me) and it just isn't possible at this time.
I think Earthborn Holistic makes a decent food and one of my kitties eats that brand also.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
938 Posts
I just transitioned to EH Coastal Catch after trying TOTW. My dog loves it and her stool is looking good so far. I've tried all kinds of toppers to get her to eat, and this is the only dry kibble she really likes. I do think it is a good quality food, or at least on par with what I was feeding before. The ingredients list looks okay although they are using Canola oil to boost the fatty acid amount, not salmon as the name implies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

Quite a few members at training use Earthborn holistic grain free and they love it. I've never used it, but they always have positive things to say about it and their dogs do look great. I can't deny that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts