German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I checked out the Earthborn Primitive, which I've never heard of before, and I'm actually going to try Halo on it. There's no place all that convenient to buy it locally, but at that price I can afford to pay shipping, especially at doggiefood.com where it's a flat rate of $4.95. It looks like she'd eat very close to the same amount as she's eating of the Orijen Adult because the Earthborn only has 15 fewer kcals per cup. Hey, if I can save $20 to $25 a bag and she does well on it, I am ALL for that! If I like it, I'll consider trying Keef on the fish based one. If I don't, I'll put her back on Orijen.

But where is my elite status going to come from now?!?!? :D Boo hoo.
I am sure you will keep the empty Orijen bag and fill it with Eartborn just in case the SF know-it-alls come for wine and cheese.

I have a partner in SF who is from Long Island and he always says people from SF "have everyone's life figured out but their own"

Rest assured you are taking no risk with Earthborn because it is 100% GTD.

If you really wanna have fun, try Pro Pac HP, I bet your dog will do better on that than Orijen, especially coat-wise.

hahahhahhahaha just what will all those liberal elites say??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sad that everyone here can ruin every post made!

I think it is clear that Sable does like Orijen and I think its very clear that most here love it. I myself am currently feeding it with very mixed results. My dogs are doing fine on it but I have a hard time seeing anything better then the other foods that I have tried. Everyone here gets on Sable because some of the food he thinks is great does not cost an arm and leg and does not have the Orijen cult following. I myself am glad for people like Sable and Robin for helping some of us out. At least they are throwing out other options for people to try.

I think some of the things Sable says are out there (coastal people thing) but its hard not to react everytime someone says your an idiot!

This food forum is becoming pretty hard to stomach sometimes!

For those who have added to this post in a positive way...........THANKS!!! I have two bags of Earthborn on there way!

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I checked out the Earthborn Primitive, which I've never heard of before, and I'm actually going to try Halo on it. There's no place all that convenient to buy it locally, but at that price I can afford to pay shipping, especially at doggiefood.com where it's a flat rate of $4.95. It looks like she'd eat very close to the same amount as she's eating of the Orijen Adult because the Earthborn only has 15 fewer kcals per cup. Hey, if I can save $20 to $25 a bag and she does well on it, I am ALL for that! If I like it, I'll consider trying Keef on the fish based one. If I don't, I'll put her back on Orijen.

But where is my elite status going to come from now?!?!? :D Boo hoo.
Search under Pro Pac or Sportmix any place that carries those has or will get Earthborn. See I am a nice guy. And just for ****s and giggles buy the Black bag of Sportmix for $25 for 55lbs.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Sad that everyone here can ruin every post made!

I think it is clear that Sable does like Orijen and I think its very clear that most here love it. I myself am currently feeding it with very mixed results. My dogs are doing fine on it but I have a hard time seeing anything better then the other foods that I have tried. Everyone here gets on Sable because some of the food he thinks is great does not cost an arm and leg and does not have the Orijen cult following. I myself am glad for people like Sable and Robin for helping some of us out. At least they are throwing out other options for people to try.

I think some of the things Sable says are out there (coastal people thing) but its hard not to react everytime someone says your an idiot!

This food forum is becoming pretty hard to stomach sometimes!

For those who have added to this post in a positive way...........THANKS!!! I have two bags of Earthborn on there way!
I live on the East Coast and my office overlooks Central Park. I know what I am talking about. If you go into any pet shop in NYC they will push Orijen on you.

Robin & I don't drink the Koolaid. We both have seen some the greatest dogs in the country eating "lowly" feed store foods and looking great and living a long long time. Personally, aside from stool volume, I have never seen any difference in a dog's condition related to food.

If everyone stopped vaccinating for everything under the sun every year and neutering dogs so early I am convinced the vast majority of ailments would go away.

·
Registered
30,903 Posts
Sable's dead on with this one. I know my local park has two rules... 1. No aggressive dogs and 2. Must feed Orijen.

We all go to the dog parks around here, sip wine, discuss politics, and laugh at people who don't feed orijen. Not too sure what they do on the west coast, but we call them "outsiders" here on the east coast.
S'ok Paul. In PA, we go to the pond, swill beer, discuss the fight at the local corner bar, laugh at the people that don't feed road kill and refer to everyone from outside the area as 'flatlanders' with a sneer. :p

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I have tried so many different foods over the past years....some were good foods, some were not.
I won't condemn anyone for what they feed their dogs....only you know what is working for you.
I'm not pro grain or pro grain free.....I simply feed what *I believe* my dogs thrive the best on, and is reasonably affordable for me to feed.
I don't care what you feed....if the price is outrageous, and the dog can do just as well on a less costly food....I say try it.
I think it gets silly when people fight over such things as *dog food*.

True...I don't drink koolaid (LOL)...but I have dogs that don't need a specialized diet....
BTW....I have no problems with the RAW diet either....it just doesn't *work* for my life.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I feed Jolene and Mickey on Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural. It is more calorie DENSE that some of the other grain free dog foods. Poops are good and small. I cut Mickey back as he had gotten to 63 pounds and I want him to be between 55 and 60 pounds. He HOOVERS the food. Jolene likes it too.... my GSD/Sheltie/Husky mix..

Powell

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I feed Jolene and Mickey on Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural. It is more calorie DENSE that some of the other grain free dog foods. Poops are good and small. I cut Mickey back as he had gotten to 63 pounds and I want him to be between 55 and 60 pounds. He HOOVERS the food. Jolene likes it too.... my GSD/Sheltie/Husky mix..

Powell
Every food from Midwestern Pet Foods is super palatable. They all smell like porcini mushrooms.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I live on the East Coast and my office overlooks Central Park. I know what I am talking about. If you go into any pet shop in NYC they will push Orijen on you.
I've never had anyone try to push Orijen on me in any pet store I've ever been to.

I live right on the NY/CT border and I'm in Manhattan every day... I was just driving up 1st ave about an hour ago. Anyway, I've definitely been to my share of pet stores and not once has anyone at any of these places ever tried pushing Orijen on me.

Any specific shops your going to? I could give them the sable test and see what food they recommend.

I do get my share of... "You should try science diet" when I'm at the vet, but that's a whole other story.

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
I think it is clear that Sable does like Orijen and I think its very clear that most here love it. I myself am currently feeding it with very mixed results. My dogs are doing fine on it but I have a hard time seeing anything better then the other foods that I have tried.
I think you meant to say that Sable doesn't like Orijen.

If you're not seeing any difference between Orijen and other foods you've tried then there's no reason to stay with Orijen. :shrug: I'd never pay that much for food if I couldn't clearly see that it was worth it, and I don't think anyone else would advise to you do so either.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Sable's dead on with this one. I know my local park has two rules... 1. No aggressive dogs and 2. Must feed Orijen.

We all go to the dog parks around here, sip wine, discuss politics, and laugh at people who don't feed orijen. Not too sure what they do on the west coast, but we call them "outsiders" here on the east coast.
:laugh::laugh:ROFL!!:laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
I am sure you will keep the empty Orijen bag and fill it with Eartborn just in case the SF know-it-alls come for wine and cheese.
And yet you'd be wrong. :) I open the bag and pour the food into big containers then throw the bag away. The only people being impressed by my exquisite taste in dog food is the garbage men. Nobody else knows or cares what my dogs eat - hard to believe, but it's not a hot topic of conversation.

Things are obviously different in NY than on the West Coast - I've never had anyone push Orijen on me either. In fact, when I decided to try it I had to actually go looking for it.

I also don't drink Koolaid. We do have a very nice wine collection, but alas - we do not take it to the dog park with us.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Personally, my favorite grain free foods that I've tried is EVO and Blue Buffalo Wilderness. Grain foods, I have a couple picks. Solid Gold probably being my top choice. If we're talking basic grain food for an active dog/hard keeper and you're ok with corn, I'd agree with Sable and say get Sportmix 24/20 in the black bag at $25 for 50lb and you wont be disappointed.

In all honesty, I'm not totally sure where Sable comes from when he says everyone here is a member of the Orijen cult. Tony is the only true food Nazi on this forum that I can think of off the top of my head who will shove Orijen down your throat and call you a worthless and cheap person if you don't feed it. :shrug: Otherwise I think while many people DO recommend it, they also typically offer other suggestions.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts