German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am feeding Orejin Adult to my two shepherds. They are doing okay on it, and seem to somewhat enjoy the food. Personally I am not sure I see a difference in there overall apperance on this food. There coat is in good shape but I dont think it is any better then it was when we fed TOTW. At $65+ a bag I still have to fed almost as much 3-3.5 cups a day to each dog to maintain weight. I was feeding 3.5-4 cups of TOTW. I saw Earthborn on our local feed store and it looks like a great food for the money. Anyone have any opinions on this food? I am looking at the turkey and chicken formula. 38% protien 20% fat. I also thought about maybe mixing in a small bag of ProPac HP 30% p 20% f to spread this food out even further. Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have my pup on the grain-free Earthborn, and I love it! Despite his current stomach issues (not food-related), he does fantastic on it, and absolutely adores it. When he's HEALTHY..his stools are much smaller than they were on other foods, His coat is better looking than when we had him on Solid Gold, as well, and he seems to be growing at a nice, slow, steady rate (he is currently 7 months). :)

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Currently I am feeding Orejin Adult to my two shepherds. They are doing okay on it, and seem to somewhat enjoy the food. Personally I am not sure I see a difference in there overall apperance on this food. There coat is in good shape but I dont think it is any better then it was when we fed TOTW. At $65+ a bag I still have to fed almost as much 3-3.5 cups a day to each dog to maintain weight. I was feeding 3.5-4 cups of TOTW. I saw Earthborn on our local feed store and it looks like a great food for the money. Anyone have any opinions on this food? I am looking at the turkey and chicken formula. 38% protien 20% fat. I also thought about maybe mixing in a small bag of ProPac HP 30% p 20% f to spread this food out even further. Any suggestions welcome!
Earthborn is a good value, and you know its the same company that makes Pro Pac. Pro Pac HP is a real rib sticking food, and it is one of the most palatable foods I have ever used.

I always sent puppies home with Pro Pac HP Puppy because it is easy to find, relatively inexpensive, easy to digest and they always eat it.

Given that it is getting warm you might wanna hold off on Pro Pac HP unless the dog get a ton of exercise or is naturally fit and/or intact. If you want to mix a good food in to save a little money then use PP Adult Chunk.

The addition of Pro Pac will make the coats glow because of the corn.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
We use Earthborn Primitive and we like it very much!
We along with 2 other breeders(in the area) decided to try it for ourselves, and ordered a large quantity amongst ourselves..(to try it a few months back)...we have ALL been happy with the food!
I would recommend it!
Robin

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Earthborn is a good value, and you know its the same company that makes Pro Pac. Pro Pac HP is a real rib sticking food, and it is one of the most palatable foods I have ever used.

I always sent puppies home with Pro Pac HP Puppy because it is easy to find, relatively inexpensive, easy to digest and they always eat it.

Given that it is getting warm you might wanna hold off on Pro Pac HP unless the dog get a ton of exercise or is naturally fit and/or intact. If you want to mix a good food in to save a little money then use PP Adult Chunk.

:lurking:

·
Banned
1,233 Posts

Given that it is getting warm you might wanna hold off on Pro Pac HP unless the dog get a ton of exercise or is naturally fit and/or intact. If you want to mix a good food in to save a little money then use PP Adult Chunk or Sport Mix in the Red or Black bag.

:lurking:

If you have something to say, say it. This is a proven fact because of the fats in corn and that it also contains very effective enzymes that aid digestion.

You appear to be another that doesn't understand the science.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replys! I was hoping to get some feedback from people that have used this food! :) For the price of this food it seems to be hands down the best deal on a grainfree! I have fed mostly grainfree (have been told its the best) but truthfully Im not so sure its any better. I would mind mixing in the pro pac to save some $ and in return I could feed more meat scraps. For those of you that have fed other grainfree food ex. Orejin, TOTW how does this food compare.

Sable.... Both dogs I own get worked hard and the male is 7 months intact and both are probably 5-7 pounds on the light side. They are healthy but I think they are giving up some muscle tone due to being a little light. Both of there coats are good but not great. If I mixed in maybe like 5-10 pounds of PP with the large 28 pound bag of Earthborn would I see any difference?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Thanks for the quick replys! I was hoping to get some feedback from people that have used this food! :) For the price of this food it seems to be hands down the best deal on a grainfree! I have fed mostly grainfree (have been told its the best) but truthfully Im not so sure its any better. I would mind mixing in the pro pac to save some $ and in return I could feed more meat scraps. For those of you that have fed other grainfree food ex. Orejin, TOTW how does this food compare.

Sable.... Both dogs I own get worked hard and the male is 7 months intact and both are probably 5-7 pounds on the light side. They are healthy but I think they are giving up some muscle tone due to being a little light. Both of there coats are good but not great. If I mixed in maybe like 5-10 pounds of PP with the large 28 pound bag of Earthborn would I see any difference?

I would think so. The HP formula is very high in calories and available fat. If your dogs are naturally light and get a lot of work just go with the Pro Pac for a month and see how it goes. The protein level is high, and the carbs are rather low on that food anyway. By calories, I would estimate calories from carbs are only about 25-30%.Same as most grain frees

I don't think it is a good idea to feed hard keepers grain free foods, that is my experience.

But I think you would see weight gain and much better coats mixing.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
If you have something to say, say it. This is a proven fact because of the fats in corn and that it also contains very effective enzymes that aid digestion.

You appear to be another that doesn't understand the science.
Wow, how rude! I am lurking because I find this interesting. I DON'T understand the science nor have I EVER claimed to. I am lurking to learn, my Jake is a bit too skinny and I wonder if needs something else. I read ALL of the posts concerning foods.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Wow, how rude! I am lurking because I find this interesting. I DON'T understand the science nor have I EVER claimed to. I am lurking to learn, my Jake is a bit too skinny and I wonder if needs something else. I read ALL of the posts concerning foods.

LOL then I am sorry. If you think your dog is thin then use a good grade food with some grain, rice, corn, barley, and higher fat.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Golfbum,
I have tried/used almost every flippen dog food on the market over the past 20 yrs.
I used Solid Gold *when it first came out*, Royal Canin *when it was first introduced in the US & still made in Germany* SOJO, Precise, Abady, Purina foods, etc..etc..
I've used Orijen, TOTW, EVO, Before Grain, Nature's Domain & a couple of others....
*I did not like the Orijen.....the dog's stool "smelled badly & they had bad gas".
TOTW....no problems on it, but I want more calories & they had more stool on it.
Before Grain & the others.....either they ate too much, or it didn't impress me in one way or another....?
EVO.....no problems on it! I like the product!
Earthborn Primitive.....BEST value overall, excellent food, proper calories, solid ingredients, NO digestive issues when switching, ALS, AND economically friendly!

*this is just my opinion & experience on these particular foods...*

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I have to agree with the above. Quality is great to good from that company no matter what the price point. Earthborn is growing very rapidly because it is fairly priced and just as good as Orijen. People from the east coast and west coast need the glamour of Orijen but it is no better.

You really couldn't go to a party or dog park in San Francisco or Manhattan and not feed Orijen, looks bad. People will start rumors.

And just imagine if you used a Purina product, LOL, even though Pro Plan Select is a pretty darn good food.

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
People from the east coast and west coast need the glamour of Orijen but it is no better.
You really hate those coastal people, don't you? :rolleyes:

You really couldn't go to a party or dog park in San Francisco or Manhattan and not feed Orijen, looks bad. People will start rumors.
How many dog parks in SF and NY have you been to? I go to off leash parks nearly every weekend for the past 10+ years and I honestly can't recall dog food ever coming up as a topic of conversation. I don't find it especially glamorous either, but hey, that's me. :)

You really should stick to what you know (what exactly is that? Still waiting for your credentials) rather than continually making sweeping stereotypical assumptions. It just makes you look, well, wrong. And petty, and foolish...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
You really hate those coastal people, don't you? :rolleyes:

How many dog parks in SF and NY have you been to? I go to off leash parks nearly every weekend for the past 10+ years and I honestly can't recall dog food ever coming up as a topic of conversation. I don't find it especially glamorous either, but hey, that's me. :)

You really should stick to what you know (what exactly is that? Still waiting for your credentials) rather than continually making sweeping stereotypical assumptions. It just makes you look, well, wrong. And petty, and foolish...
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
I checked out the Earthborn Primitive, which I've never heard of before, and I'm actually going to try Halo on it. There's no place all that convenient to buy it locally, but at that price I can afford to pay shipping, especially at doggiefood.com where it's a flat rate of $4.95. It looks like she'd eat very close to the same amount as she's eating of the Orijen Adult because the Earthborn only has 15 fewer kcals per cup. Hey, if I can save $20 to $25 a bag and she does well on it, I am ALL for that! If I like it, I'll consider trying Keef on the fish based one. If I don't, I'll put her back on Orijen.

But where is my elite status going to come from now?!?!? :D Boo hoo.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
People from the east coast and west coast need the glamour of Orijen but it is no better.

And just imagine if you used a Purina product, LOL, even though Pro Plan Select is a pretty darn good food.
Sable's dead on with this one. I know my local park has two rules... 1. No aggressive dogs and 2. Must feed Orijen.

We all go to the dog parks around here, sip wine, discuss politics, and laugh at people who don't feed orijen. Not too sure what they do on the west coast, but we call them "outsiders" here on the east coast.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts