German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was considering this food, but when I examined the ingredients, it seemed to be very heavy in peas. The second and third ingredients in the Great Plains variety are peas and pea protein. This tells me there is not much meat in it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I fed the Lamb based grain free to my dogs for over a year, 2 of them did Great on it.
The only reason I switched is I found out Frank needed a food with grain in it to solve his runny stools and for other reasons I wanted to switch him to a duck based food.
So I switched all 3 to Holistic Selects duck based food.
If not for wanting to go with Duck, I would of gone with one of Earthborn's foods that have grain in it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
It's a good company and some of their foods are quite good - Primitive Natural probably being the best. Some of the other formulas do seem to be, as Zookeep mentioned, a bit heavy in legume ingredients and light in meat.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I am not impressed with the grain varieties either. The Adult Vantage has 6 grain and potato ingredients before the fat, and has only 22 percent protein. This one is light on the meat as well.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's a good company and some of their foods are quite good - Primitive Natural probably being the best. Some of the other formulas do seem to be, as Zookeep mentioned, a bit heavy in legume ingredients and light in meat.
I agree that the Primitive Natural is the best. However, I think it has a high ash percentage, but don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've tried all of their grain free ones and my dogs love them and do well on them. The Primitive is my preferred choice because the meat content is better, but because I have a pup under a year, I rotate between the Coastal Catch and Wellness Core Puppy for him.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I feed Earthborn Primitive Natural to supplement my raw fed female when we travel, or if I forgot to thaw something. I feed Earthborn Coastal Catch grain free to my allergic dogs - they do very well on it. I like the food - good energy, great coat, nice poop, no smell, no gas, no bad breath, dogs love it.

·
Registered
381 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
The primitive natural seems to be the best one then? I was feeding Canidae but I want to make sure Luna is eating a really good food. She is six months old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Yes, it is the best variety of Earthborn. It does have 12 percent ash, which is very high. Maybe someone will weigh in on whether they think that high of an ash percentage is a problem.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I'm not sure if a high ash content is something to worry about to be honest. I have heard it can lead to kidney problems, and possibly bladder problems, but have never seen any research to substantiate these claims. I try to avoid foods that have excessive ash quantities to be safe ... Though I do feed Evo to my cats and ferrets and they all do great on it.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I think the Coastal Catch and Meadows Feast aren't bad with Calcium/Phos, but the Primitive and Great Plains are much too high. I didn't realize the OP had a puppy. Didn't pay attention. I really like the Wellness Core puppy. Its much cheaper to purchase online though, than from Petsmart or locally in my area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts