German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rebel Child is now 5 months old and his ears still aren't standing. I asked the vet if there were anything I could do and she said not to her knowledge. His father and mother and even his grandfather have a beautiful profile. Any suggestions? I was told by his search and rescue trainer that I could glue them to build the muscles. However, the vet said she had never heard of it. Please help us.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what did your breeder say about the ears? i'm surprised your Vet didn't
know about taping ears. if you're going to tape his ears let the breeder
do it or find a vet that knows how to do it. my dog was 5 months old
when both ears stood up. my last GSD was 6 yrs old when both ears stood
up.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
CanisCallidus Online Shop

Don't know where I bought mine but these are the same forms...made in Germany no less.

I used them on my pup and they worked wonderfully.......

I'll bet there is an entire forum dedicated to GSD ears in GSD Forums.

Those ears look pretty floppy right now but I believe by 5 months you might want to get a bit proactive.

Just Google something like " German Shepherd ears not standing up" and you will be overwhelmed with all the "advice".

I used Tear Mender glue for the adhesive for the one ear form I used on my pup...rather than the expensive glue they were selling explicitly for the ear form. Her ear stayed up after one weeks time with the form in, situations obviously vary.

Best of luck,

SuperG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My breeder is in Germany and I am in Texas. I'm checking in to the glue now! Thanks Super G!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been reading the articles every one has posted. Question: Rebel is still teething and just lost his first baby canines yesterday; is it too soon to start the taping process? And which method is more comfortable for Rebel? Taping or Gluing?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
nutrition - because you will be helping the entire body . Ears are not the only place where good cartilage and connective tissue are necessary. When a person gets the bad news on hips the advice is always to feed to build and protect the ligaments, cartilage, connective tissue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If he is still teething don't worry about it. My boy's ears were up and perfect for a very short time and then went back to floppy during teething. Took them a while to stand up afterwards too, but they're both good now.

·
Registered
32,018 Posts
Kaiah will be six months on the 29th. Both her ears were down a week ago. Now one is up, and the other is up 1/2 the time. Her sister was an early riser, she's a late riser.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
CanisCallidus Online Shop

Don't know where I bought mine but these are the same forms...made in Germany no less.

I used them on my pup and they worked wonderfully.......

I'll bet there is an entire forum dedicated to GSD ears in GSD Forums.

Those ears look pretty floppy right now but I believe by 5 months you might want to get a bit proactive.

Just Google something like " German Shepherd ears not standing up" and you will be overwhelmed with all the "advice".

I used Tear Mender glue for the adhesive for the one ear form I used on my pup...rather than the expensive glue they were selling explicitly for the ear form. Her ear stayed up after one weeks time with the form in, situations obviously vary.

Best of luck,

SuperG

These are the ones we got. Jaxon has issues because he's so big. His ears are now both erect at 9 months. It took awhile. Form them. Leave them alone. They will stand.

We also gave him some yogurt and seameal in each of his feedings for about 2 months.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Isn't 5 months still prime teething time? They should go up when teething is finished. Remy's ears are XXL and they took a little longer to pop up, not until 7 or 8 months—I think the cartilage had to work extra hard on his ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts