German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime our pup greets us I.e when let out of the crate her ears go right back? We were walking her yesterday and she saw and sniffed a bicycle and the same thing happened again. What does it mean? She's nearly 15 weeks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
She is probably enduring a fearful stage. Puppies go through these for the entire year. One day, your dog will be fine with bikes and another she could be fearful of them. My dog is currently now fearful of children and plastic bags, something she was not fearful of just a month ago. All you can do is reassure her that it is not a threat. Just make sure to not force fearful situations on her, try to do it gradually and with as much reassurance as possible. Treats could be helpful in these situations. Whenever she is fearful of something, reassure her and give her a treat to get her to associate the experience with something good.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It's a doggie signal. It's probably either uncertainty or sign of submission. It's kind of difficult to tell for sure without actually seeing the dog in person.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her tails still wagging when she meets us - hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

She definitely doesnt have a lack in confidence that's for sure!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Ears down is an appropriate show of submission. It can also be a sign of concentration, as with the bicycle. Approaching people and other dogs (or bicycles!) with ears down is completely appropriate for a young pup. Hard to tell without seeing the whole picture, but it does not sound like fear.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
With Heidi I think the routine is something like:

I get home ears down, tail wagging - "Real glad to see you, where you been?"
I get home ears down, head down, tail between legs - "You left the trash out and I couldn't stop myself, sorry about the mess." (Fortunately she only gets into it about once every three months and I only put it away when there's something I think she would want to investigate)

She would not be a good poker player...

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Everytime our pup greets us I.e when let out of the crate her ears go right back? We were walking her yesterday and she saw and sniffed a bicycle and the same thing happened again. What does it mean? She's nearly 15 weeks.
My dogs always do this with their ears all the time. They do it to me when they are happy and greeting. They do it to each other. They do it to my friends.

Ears up is alert and listening.

Ears down is happy and greeting.

Watch Glory greeting everyone at this dog show...

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie has his ears back the whole time we are taking a walk. He just loves to go for a walk. I can't even say that word, I have to spell it, or he will go nuts with happiness : ) He puts his ears back whenever he is really happy.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My dogs do this when they are happy too and also when they are walking like Wolfie does. It seems to be a sign of contentness and happiness or excitment. I think Jackson is so cute when he does this!

·
Super Moderator
32,397 Posts
That's sometimes referred to as otter head. Halo puts her ears back when she swims, and she actually DOES look like an otter, lol!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
all my dogs put their ears back when they're happy and they dont like something. but usually being happy is when we see it most. Those tails start wagging and the ears go down. its like they dont have the energy to hold their ears up while they power that wrecking ball tail!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ears down is an appropriate show of submission. It can also be a sign of concentration, as with the bicycle. Approaching people and other dogs (or bicycles!) with ears down is completely appropriate for a young pup. Hard to tell without seeing the whole picture, but it does not sound like fear.
My Greta tries to get as small as she can around children. Lies down, ears down, and very submissive. I think she's consciously doing this to not be threatening to anyone of them.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Jamie's ears go down all of the time. For her it is a sign of submission and/or happiness. She does this when she enters a room or meets anyone or other animals. Her ears go down and that tail starts wagging. She is very friendly with people and other animals thankfully. She shows her emotions through her ears and tail just like people do with their facial expressions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts