German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I posted back in April about my GSD puppy Samson being diagnosed with bilateral metaphyseal enlargement. We swapped foods as the vet advised and his growth did slow down. At the time of my original post he was 5 months old an weighed 45 lbs. Today he is 6.5 months and weighs 54. I took him into the vet today just for a checkup on his growth and the vet is now concerned about hip dysplasia. She stated his knuckles (where the original diagnoses came from) looked better on the right but the left still looked big to her. She asked if he limps or shows any signs of pain. I told her that he has never shown any signs of pain and that I have seen him limp after playing ball for a while and that is only on the right side. After rest it goes away and we don't see it every time. I have tried my best to be careful with him and not let him jump up and down. Although we let him chase the ball we don't throw it up for him to catch it. He did attempt to jump up onto a truck one time and fell back but there were no signs of trauma. She also asked if he always stands the way he was at the time. And I answered yes. She then told me she thinks we should get X-rays to rule out dysplasia in his hips and knuckles. So, needless to say this has thrown me for a complete loop and I'm kind of freaking out! I've watched many videos on dogs with hip dysplasia and I don't really see any of those movements in Samson,. He does have a slight "swishy" walk but I have not noticed any bunny hopping. I'll try and get a video and post it but until then does anyone have any thoughts? We get x-rays on Thursday (he'd already eaten today so they didn't want to sedate him). I'm trying to be positive but I'm very concerned. Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hip Dysplasia isn't the end of the world. Some dogs have absolutely awful hips on the films an show no outword sign they have an issue until late into their senior years if at all. Other dogs can show mild to moderate on the films and have all sorts of limitations, pain, lameness. It truly is individual to the dog. Iv'e seen dogs with HD doing agility, dock diving, etc.
My girl was diagnosed at 19 months with moderate bilateral HD. She has periods of pain and limping. Other times you would never know her hips were crap. I will say at 5 she runs much slower than she use to and definitely hops when she runs now. We have pretty much learned what irritates her hips and avoid those activities. We walk every day for at least an hour. Much of which is off leash so she can run if she wants. She still loves a good squirrel or bunny chase (she never catches them). She still plays frisbee and with her flirt pole for short periods. She's a pretty happy dog.
We treat symptoms when she has them and try to keep her weight in check. We and the vet agree to just let her be a dog and that is working for us.
Try not to stress too much. Even if it is HD outcomes very widely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true and thank you for reminding me of that. We had an Otter Hound mix who was diagnosed with HD fairly young and he lived to be 19. I think its more that it has caught me way off guard. I just wasn't expecting that when I took him in and I just don't want him to have problems. We will just have to wait and see. Thank you again for the encouragement!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts