German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

most of you know that Zeus had a few interesting weeks and swallowed a stick and had xrays, than ate rocks... well we always walk and have our hand in his mouth, trying to take treats with us and correct with a leash. The last week has been working great. Things got even better when I got him a bully stick and he would take it with him outside and I did not have to worry about him picking anything up.

Well today especially I noticed that he would start chewing faster when I am near. I tried to give him treats by tossing them from a distance and he was trying to pick them up while he had a bully stick in his mouth. When he got closer he actually tried to swallow a 5" stick so I don't take it away, I was scared health to death when I saw it disappear, but he bent over and spit it out. So I took a couple more treats, lured him away and took it when he did not see.

He is only 12 weeks, everything can be corrected, but whats the "right" way to try?

I hand feed him, and he is fine and gentle. If I lower my hand near his food dish he starts eating faster! but no biting or growling. I can dig in his dish and feed him and all is fu\ine after my had is already lowered. Not sure, any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Always trade up, it helps reinforce that it's not a bad thing for them to give up a item. You don't always have to trade but do it often enough they get used to swapping even if it's for a fun toy

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always trade up, it helps reinforce that it's not a bad thing for them to give up a item. You don't always have to trade but do it often enough they get used to swapping even if it's for a fun toy
Thanks you, definitely trying, it was actually going good, until today! I can't believe he tried to swallow that long thing. I am scared to give it back now.

I think there is some way to attach something to the end of a bully stick that prevents from swallowing? I heard of it, but have not figured out what it is, I can even drill a hole in the center and attach large rubber something?

I will try giving him larger and safer things and work on trading. I do trade outside, after I take away a stick, a rock or pine-cone, I give him a beef liver treat.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
mmm Lara started doing that (eating really fast) when I approach her while she's eating because she got starved for a few days on her rice and bland chicken diet from doing the same stuff outside...I decided to ignore her eating and if I wanted her to stop I just ran really fast right by her and waved my arms and stuff and it got her super excited so she'd usually abandon what she was eating lol. :p

·
Registered
766 Posts
mmm Lara started doing that (eating really fast) when I approach her while she's eating because she got starved for a few days on her rice and bland chicken diet from doing the same stuff outside...I decided to ignore her eating and if I wanted her to stop I just ran really fast right by her and waved my arms and stuff and it got her super excited so she'd usually abandon what she was eating lol. :p
I wish that worked with my pup. He just takes whatever he is playing with/trying to eat with him and tries to get further away to stop and chomp down as much as he can before I can reach him. I've learned to carry a toy outside with me if he's eating something he's not supposed to so he's distracted.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I wish that worked with my pup. He just takes whatever he is playing with/trying to eat with him and tries to get further away to stop and chomp down as much as he can before I can reach him. I've learned to carry a toy outside with me if he's eating something he's not supposed to so he's distracted.
Oh mine cares less about toys outside, but if I grab a handful of crunchy leaves and drag them on the side walk she CANT resist the scraping sound and comes running. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL! yep he was on chicken and rice =( just switched back

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad we are not alone

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is just anxiety that you are taking his toy. Use a tug or toy that he cant swallow. Put him in a sit position and give it to him, then command him to out or release. As soon as he releases click or say whatever your marker or praise word is such as yes or good boy and give it right back to him and play. Put him in a sit position and repeat. This will take away the anxiousness because he learns that when you take it away he gets it right back along with some play and attention. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It is just anxiety that you are taking his toy. Use a tug or toy that he cant swallow. Put him in a sit position and give it to him, then command him to out or release. As soon as he releases click or say whatever your marker or praise word is such as yes or good boy and give it right back to him and play. Put him in a sit position and repeat. This will take away the anxiousness because he learns that when you take it away he gets it right back along with some play and attention. Good luck.
I totally agree with this. I forgot to mention in my other post that I don't have the problem of taking things away as much if distractions dont work because EVERY time we play with her toys I will randomly say "give me" and stop the game until she lets go, and then I immediately give it back, multiple times a session. Since I do this like 10+ times a day and she always wins, me distracting her or demanding things is pretty easy for her.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, will try this!

He already fetches the ball and has no problem giving it to me to throw again. But i think a tug might be different.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I totally agree with this. I forgot to mention in my other post that I don't have the problem of taking things away as much if distractions dont work because EVERY time we play with her toys I will randomly say "give me" and stop the game until she lets go, and then I immediately give it back, multiple times a session. Since I do this like 10+ times a day and she always wins, me distracting her or demanding things is pretty easy for her.
you have no idea what I am picturing in my head, with you running around waving arms in the air. lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts