German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my vet gave me some solution to clean my puppy's ear wax. However the process involve massaging the soft bone below the ear to get the wax out. I read on the forum that playing with puppy's ears hurt the chance of them standing up. Should I not massage the ears because of that?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I think it would be fine to use this, as massaging the base of the ear doesn't affect whether the ears stand or not. I'm NOT an expert, but that is my understanding. What you don't want is someone (anyone, be they human or puppy) pulling on, chewing on the ears. Especially rubbing the ears back (like if you rub a dog on the head, and stroke back over the ears, making them lay down). That's what I understand to be bad for the ears.

Why did the vet give you something for ear wax? Are the puppy's ears bothering him/her? You can just use peroxide (don't pour it into the ear, though), rather than buying expensive solution from the vet. Just put some on a couple of cotton balls, and wipe the inside of the ear clean. This works fine on my dog. If the vet prescribed something for a specific problem, then that's different. But plain ol' cleaning can be done w/peroxide and cotton balls (much cheaper!) I only clean Kodee's ears when they start to look dirty, which is usually several weeks in between cleanings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detail response. I guess I will start cleaning it occasionally. My vet started smelling my pup's ears when she was examining her and then ordered a ear swap cytology!!?? I think she said pouring in that solution and then massaging the base of the ear will help clean the ear and avoid infection. It is kind of expensive though. Thanks! It is very reassuring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts