German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my pit to the vet yesterday for a general ckup. She was checked for earmites and that was neg. The vet says she has alot of gunk and would benefit from an earwash everyday for one week then to do it once a week. He said I could purchase an ear wash at the pet store but I wanted to hear from all of you how you clean your dogs ears. Do you purchase the wash from the pet store or is this something I can do with things from around the house?

Dawn

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I use a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and water. Then I soak a cotton ball and use that to wipe out the ear. And I dry with a dry cotton ball. I don't know if its necessary to dry, or not.

Balto had a lot of gunk stuck in crevices, so I used a soaked q-tip to gently remove the gunk.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
My sister actually bought me Paul Mitchell ear and eye wipes for dogs (she's a hair dresser and gets a discount on products.) We haven't tried them yet but I think you could use either a cotton pad or ball or some kind of ear specific wipe to clean the ear out. Whatever you do (I'm sure you know this) do NOT use anything pointy that could poke the ear drum, like what you would use with your own ears.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Originally Posted By: rizzodmThe vet says she has alot of gunk and would benefit from an earwash everyday for one week then to do it once a week.
Unless your dog is rolling in the mud every day and getting it in their ears you really should try to figure out WHY they are getting gunky ears and not just how to clean them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang
Originally Posted By: rizzodmThe vet says she has alot of gunk and would benefit from an earwash everyday for one week then to do it once a week.
Unless your dog is rolling in the mud every day and getting it in their ears you really should try to figure out WHY they are getting gunky ears and not just how to clean them.
Well I guess just like some people produce alot of ear wax dogs do the same.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Georgias ears are the same way, She doesnt play in the mud at all but her ears gets awfully gunky very often.
We have to take her to petsmart to get them cleaned because she gets so hyper and excited with us its impossiable.
Georgia has had a few bouts of ear infections though but the vet never mentioned what the direct cause was.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Usually a good swim cleans out Ozzy's floppy ear. If not I buy an all-natural product in the drugstore, it's a saline solution you squirt into the ear canal. Seems to work.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
rizzodm,

We, too, have a Pit Bull whose allergy tests came back negative (*sigh*) and is on a controlled "allergy-free" type diet.

He also produces gunk in his ears that is the result of over-production of ear wax (yay, BYBer for our dog!)

We use an ear wash for him that we got from a Cocker Spaniel breeder's website that works great:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

The only thing we did do is NOT use the Boric acid. I used Boric acid to kill Scorpions, and even on their FAQ page about the cleaner it says dangerous in open wounds, etc.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Originally Posted By: Angela_Wzymox is an enzyme based cleaner. Entirelypets carries it as to others. It's the only thing I use now. Vishnu used to have to get his cleaned every couple of weeks (flushed)

I second the zymox! My youngster struggled w/gunky ears for months, nothing was working. 7 days of the zymox cleared them right up. That was 4 weeks ago and so far they're still nice and clean. I got it from entirely pets but through Amazon w/a discount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts