German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if this is wrong place to post this thread and for not looking very hard to find any similiar threads.
As the title states, Gypsy is having trouble with her ears. She scratching at it and whining. We have dealt with ear problems before due to Gypsy's predocessor, Jenna, having them also. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about anything that might help get rid of and prevent these ear infections. My dad has been using a mixture of vinegar and water, which seems to be helping.
I forgot to also mention that Gypsy is liking and chewing on her nails that are on the foot she using to scratch her ear with.
Please help us and thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I apologize in advance if this is wrong place to post this thread and for not looking very hard to find any similiar threads.
As the title states, Gypsy is having trouble with her ears. She scratching at it and whining. We have dealt with ear problems before due to Gypsy's predocessor, Jenna, having them also. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about anything that might help get rid of and prevent these ear infections. My dad has been using a mixture of vinegar and water, which seems to be helping.
I forgot to also mention that Gypsy is liking and chewing on her nails that are on the foot she using to scratch her ear with.
Please help us and thank you very much in advance.
My GSD is having the same issue. My vet gave me a solution to rinse her ears with (smells like saline) and then Posatex ear drops to do after the rinse. Her infection went away, but now seems to be back. Unfortunately, she hates being restrained to receive these drops, stresses her very badly, and I have pretty much given up on trying again.

I know nothing of if her parents had chronic ear issues as the breeder I purchased her from refuses to ever admit any fault. Thanks to your post I am at least understanding that this could be a genetic thing...I hope your pup gets better, mine too :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
32,548 Posts
What are you feeding her? Often chronic ear infections and paw licking are due to allergies, either food or environmental.

I would take her to the vet about the ear, if it's that bad just treating it yourself may not be sufficient, it might need to be flushed out, and you'll probably need some meds to put in the ear.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I agree about taking your dog to the vet to have her ears looked at.

When my dog was younger, she had a couple of ear infections. But now we regularly use the ear rinse our vet gave us to make sure her ears are clean and she is on a grain free diet. No problems since. We also will rinse her ears with the Vetericyn Ear Rinse occasionally as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree about taking your dog to the vet to have her ears looked at.

When my dog was younger, she had a couple of ear infections. But now we regularly use the ear rinse our vet gave us to make sure her ears are clean and she is on a grain free diet. No problems since. We also will rinse her ears with the Vetericyn Ear Rinse occasionally as well.
Sorry for interjecting so much on the OP's post..but does anyone have any ideas on how to administer an occasional rinse to a dog who hates it? I mean we did it day before yesterday and she shook and peed on the floor and I cannot bear to put her in that type of situation, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My dog definitely hates it. LOL But my boyfriend will usually hold her head for me and I quickly put the ear rinse in there, squish it around, get a couple of cotton balls to soak up some of the solution then let her go so she can shake her head...then we give her a treat. Once she is okay, we do the other ear the same way. We only do that every couple of week or each month. And we always praise her when we are done.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My dog definitely hates it. LOL But my boyfriend will usually hold her head for me and I quickly put the ear rinse in there, squish it around, get a couple of cotton balls to soak up some of the solution then let her go so she can shake her head...then we give her a treat. Once she is okay, we do the other ear the same way. We only do that every couple of week or each month. And we always praise her when we are done.
Thanks! I will really try and recruit my husband once a month (he said after last time he refuses to do it anymore) because she was so upset :( I know I'm probably just being a baby about it but gosh I hate stressing her so badly

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for interjecting so much on the OP's post..but does anyone have any ideas on how to administer an occasional rinse to a dog who hates it? I mean we did it day before yesterday and she shook and peed on the floor and I cannot bear to put her in that type of situation, any suggestion

It's okay, K.Creek. I understand about really needing answers about this mutual problem. Try having your girl lay down and as you administer the rinse have someone else hold treats in front of her. After the rinse is done give her the treats as a reward. We did this for Jenna every time she had ear problems and she had them very often from when she was barely a year old until she passed on.
In response to your question, Cassidy's Mom, we have been feeding Gypsy Science Diet dog food. She has been on this food since she turned one in February. Her ears have been troubling her about 2-3 weeks now.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
It's okay, K.Creek. I understand about really needing answers about this mutual problem. Try having your girl lay down and as you administer the rinse have someone else hold treats in front of her. After the rinse is done give her the treats as a reward. We did this for Jenna every time she had ear problems and she had them very often from when she was barely a year old until she passed on.
In response to your question, Cassidy's Mom, we have been feeding Gypsy Science Diet dog food. She has been on this food since she turned one in February. Her ears have been troubling her about 2-3 weeks now.

And it may hurt. Some of the alcohol/vinegar/hydrogen peroxide rinses HURT!!!
Also, warm to body temperature. Be very careful not to overheat.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
It could be yeast. Take her to the vet. This can be very painful.

I routinely clean ears every other weekend also clip nails at the same time. I use Zymox rinse.

Rusty doesn't mind me cleaning his ears but doesn't like the swish of the solution going down his ear. I saturate a cotton ball then squeeze into his ears, that he tolerates then I clean them. He's also the most calm laying on my bed so I tell him "it's time to clean your ears", he will go jump on the bed & wait. lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it could be yeast, but I'm also starting to really think it might be an environmental allergy. Gypsy only seems to scratch at her ears when there is a high pollen alert for the day. We will look into the witch hazel, also. Thank you for the advice that is being given.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks guys! I have taken mine to the vet and he said she just had an infection, there was quite a bit of buildup in them. But now her ears are clear, not visible buildup but the scratching, whining, shaking her head has started again. I'm starting to lean towards allergy...I live in west TX and high winds are a daily occurrence blowing dirt, pollen, grass all of the place so maybe that is the cause. I also recently began mixing calf milk replacement with her food (food has always been royal canin) couple the milk be causing this?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Highly recommend (again:) ) the above link for ear wash.

Here are ingredients for calf milk replacer: EEWWWW:(.
Common Milk Replacer Ingredients

Animal Fat and Vegetable Oil -
Fats and oils obtained by removi
ng lipid portion of animal and
vegetable tissue.
Animal Plasma -

A concentrated source of protein obtained by removing the red and
white blood cells from fresh whole blood. The resulting plasma is
dried (78% protein).
Casein (Dried Milk Protein) -

Primary protein in skimmed milk
. Concentrated by coagulating
milk (85% protein).
Dried Skimmed Milk -

The fat in milk is removed. The remaining protein, lactose and
minerals are dried (34% protein).
Dried Whey -

Liquid drained from cheese during processing and then dried.
Contains lactalbumin proteins and is high in lactose (12% protein).

Dried Whey Product (Delactosed Whey) –
A portion of the lactose in whey is
removed which results in higher
levels of protein and minerals (20-26% protein).
Dried Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) -
Protein portion of whey is concentrated through ultrafiltration (34-
80% protein).
Lecithin -
Emulsifier. Aids in dispersal of fat in solution and enhances
digestion of fat.
L-Lysine and DL-Methionine -

Essential amino acids necessary for calf growth.
Polyoxyethylene Glycol (400) Mono and Dioleates (PEG 400)
-

Emulsifier. Aids in dispersal of fat in solution.
Vitamin and Mineral Supplements -

Many vitamins and minerals are supplemented to provide for
normal health, growth and maintenance of calves

·
Registered
156 Posts
Highly recommend (again:) ) the above link for ear wash.

Here are ingredients for calf milk replacer: EEWWWW:(.
Common Milk Replacer Ingredients

Animal Fat and Vegetable Oil -
Fats and oils obtained by removi
ng lipid portion of animal and
vegetable tissue.
Animal Plasma -

A concentrated source of protein obtained by removing the red and
white blood cells from fresh whole blood. The resulting plasma is
dried (78% protein).
Casein (Dried Milk Protein) -

Primary protein in skimmed milk
. Concentrated by coagulating
milk (85% protein).
Dried Skimmed Milk -

The fat in milk is removed. The remaining protein, lactose and
minerals are dried (34% protein).
Dried Whey -

Liquid drained from cheese during processing and then dried.
Contains lactalbumin proteins and is high in lactose (12% protein).

Dried Whey Product (Delactosed Whey) –
A portion of the lactose in whey is
removed which results in higher
levels of protein and minerals (20-26% protein).
Dried Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) -
Protein portion of whey is concentrated through ultrafiltration (34-
80% protein).
Lecithin -
Emulsifier. Aids in dispersal of fat in solution and enhances
digestion of fat.
L-Lysine and DL-Methionine -

Essential amino acids necessary for calf growth.
Polyoxyethylene Glycol (400) Mono and Dioleates (PEG 400)
-

Emulsifier. Aids in dispersal of fat in solution.
Vitamin and Mineral Supplements -

Many vitamins and minerals are supplemented to provide for
normal health, growth and maintenance of calves
:(

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Olive oil is also good for the dogs ears. put a few drops around the ear with a dropper and clean 5 minutes later.

I Think it's worth while checking the ears regularly and cleaning visible wax or whatever. The oil does loosen wax and make it easier to clean the ears with a cotton bud.

I use a small torch to see inside the ear.

Most times when a dog has an infection there will be some discharge so it's good to get rid of that twice a day.

You have to teach the dog to remain relaxed when getting ears cleaned. My dogs don't like it but they do get used to having the ears cleaned or nails cut or whatever.

If you try techniques like this you need to practice and aim for the dog to be relaxed laying on the floor before introducing a cleaner which may smell bad and be uncomfortable to the dog.

I lure them to the middle of the floor and put them into a sit, then down, then roll over. I will wait until the dog is lying on it's side with relaxed tail and face and legs on the ground. No lifting of head or legs or tail tucked. It might take some gentle persuasion. I control the neck with one hand and hip area with my other hand. A dog will generally give in quickly in this position. Wait for relaxation and submission.

Then I always start with a cotton bud. Let the dog smell it first. Then wait for it to relax again. Then rub lightly around the ear and rub the dog and re assure it. Then get your solution to clean the dogs ears. Let the dog smell it again and wait for it to relax. Apply the solution. Massage ear and wait a bit and then roll over the dog and do the other side the same way. Release it then and let it shake and romp. Get it back there a while later, same way as above and clean any residue which is inside the ear from the cleaner with cotton wool and cotton buds.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Raw organic cold pressed coconut oil (Nutiva good middle priced brand).

set aside some in a separate container - shot glass, wrap some tissue or soft cloth around your finger and dig some out of the glass, swab it in the ear with finger and will melt with heat from the ear - so soothing, may even let you do - massage base of ear at head to work it down, let head shake and use clean cloth/tissue to swab out the debris - repeat several times or as a much as will tolerate first 1-2 times.

Coconut oil will kill the yeast and bacteria - infusing some fresh garlic oil (not the jarred stuff or power) and adding that to the oil will do double duty.

Can buy ear oil (St. Francis - is organic ingr.), olive oil, garlic, mullein, calendula (I think) - works great for ear infections

1 - 20 of 21 Posts