German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay for those of you who have seen diesels picture in my introduction his ears are standing he's a 1 yr old, however they don't stand all the time, being a new GSD owner It gets kind of irritating people calling him a mixed breed, and a certain family member "dad" always saying when are your ears going to stand? Beautiful erect ears in this one picture huh? now see the picture of him with them floppy. I would love for them to stand all the time is it far to late to do anything about it? If so I'll live with him being a "stimulated" ear stander because I love him dearly I'm just curious..

First Picture on the left him as a puppy I believe this was taken in Nov last year. Next picture was from this spring, Next picture ears up again camping about a month ago, last picture of us, this is what his ears do! what do you all that have owned for several years or know the breed really really well think?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
You could try to train them up with an insert in them. I don't know how successful it would be at this age. I am currently working with taping a 1 year old's ears and so far not much improvement. But, his don't stand occasionally like yours.

I used breath rite strips and mole skin. Maybe I can get a picture of Luke's ears today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gosh anything would be great I tried a method with glueing the roller to the inside of the ear but his ear didn't react well to the glue at all made the skin on the inside peel.. Like I said he'll be laying down wake up and his ears are up.. Which is great! but I'm having lost hope needless to say.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it depends for Diesel most of the day they are up but when I go to pet him or he comes to me they fall like I said if I can help them since they already do stand most of the time that would be fantastic! if not no big deal he's everything I could want in a GSD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yea like right now they are drooped down not standing he's sleeping and bent over at the tops... The base is up so their not as flat as say a retrievers ears obviously from the picture lol but it's frustrating sometimes. He's a big boy for his age.. If this helps any I give him bones to chew on and when he chews his ears start to stand also it's very weird to me being a first time owner and all..lol.. I do appreciate any input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that's my inital though too just to see if it'll help because they stand a majority of the time any way..... What are some good methods to use that I can do at home myself that don't involve glue? His ears just yesterday had a really nasty reaction to the glue..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Tear mender is the real deal. No pictures but, I tried the breath rite strips, the card board from a toilet paper roll. My GSD was ten months old and his right ear didn't show much hope. Tried the above a few times each, only to have them fall out every couple days, then stumbled into some oak veneer in the garage, cut out a form and could form it in the shape of an ear. Glued the breath-rite strips to what would be the non veneer side. Lathered the tear mender to the oak side and stuck it to Ozzies ear. It stayed for eight days, when it came out I glued another one in, stayed for nine or ten days. Came home from work one day and that one came out. But his ear stood on its own. For good measure I glued another in. It doesn't boyhr him at all either. I'm at six days on this one, when it comes out I'll leave it out and I believe it will stay on its own from what I saw . I'll try to keep you all informed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm actually having some success with the taping of his ears... *fingers crossed* We hunt and had a successful year so he gets the fresh bones from that so.. yay! I as well will keep UTD on here on the process..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts