German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three animals shaking their heads with brown gunk in their ears so I'm pretty sure we somehow got a case of ear mites in the house.

How do you treat this without going to the vet, which I know I can't get an appointment today and don't have time to go next week? I'm reading Revolution and Advantage Multi will work? But I think you can only get this from a vet?

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt it. Not with 3 animals all with the same brown gunk and symptoms and no smell at all. :( My vet is leaving a bottle of drops out on the door for us to pick up. He did say it was rare for dogs to get ear mites but animals need to be treated. And Cracker has an appt next weekend so can be double checked then. He said if I don't see improvement in 3-4 days, call him back to get them in for a check.

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and Sunflowers gets the prize!!! It's yeast. It's the same treatment as mites but he extended it.

the difference is...yeast is wet. Mites are dry and crumbly. But both can look brown and chunky

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Yikes.
I have heard that cleaning with Vetericyn before applying the meds makes the medication work much more effectively.
Hope it clears up soon. I can't imagine having to catch, hold and treat that many dogs!:eek:

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only 1 dog now and one cat since it wasn't mites. Mine are pretty good so the cat has been the worse to treat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts