German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Not sure if I'm in the right forum header for this but I'll ask away!

Summer's ears went up at 8.5 weeks, and seemed pretty solid. Last week we went to the vets for her second set of vaccinations. Two days later, she dropped her right ear. I understand that puppies ears do crazy things, so it didn't concern me. However on Saturday, my sister was visiting and made a comment about her having a "runny" nose. Once again, didn't think anything of it. Later that same day she was scratching her right ear and whined while she was doing it. She's a bit of a princess, and didn't react when I scratched her ear so I figured she'd done it a bit hard.

Same thing happened tonight, and when I picked her up to carry her upstairs, I noticed the tell tale smell of a yeast infection coming from that ear.

I'm assuming its an ear infection, I will most likely be visiting the vets tomorrow (yay another opportunity for her to "stress poop" in my car) I was just wondering what could have caused this? We change her food two weeks ago as she wasn't putting any weight on, I would have thought if it was food related this would have happened sooner?
She plays in her water bowl a lot and spends quite a bit of time outside with my other dog, so I guess it could be anything?
Would the ear drop have caused this, or is her ear dropping because of the infection?
Any insight on this would be appreciated. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
What food are you feeding her? The yeast infection is a sign that she has too much in her system. So a low grain to no grain food would be better. And GSD ears don't fully form til 4 months. Gotta love the radar ears.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am currently treating a yeast infection in my boy's ears. One had a little yeast, one had very high yeast. I switched to a no-grain food and plan on feeding raw after he ages a little bit more. The vet told me this humid, soggy weather has been a breading ground for yeast. I dunno.... but hopefully the food and the meds will take care of it. I noticed a great improvement within about a day after using the stuff (monometex or something like that).

My guy's ear is floppy anyway, but what made me think about a yeast infection was that it was far droopier and floppier than normal :-/

Good luck

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies. She's on Royal Canin Large breed puppy food. I'm about to call the vet and make an appointment, fingers crossed this is not a constantly recurring thing, had that with my Labrador, it's not fun! But we shall see! Will update on results.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Thank you for the replies. She's on Royal Canin Large breed puppy food. I'm about to call the vet and make an appointment, fingers crossed this is not a constantly recurring thing, had that with my Labrador, it's not fun! But we shall see! Will update on results.

Note that Royal Canin will be adding Chicken BY-PRODUCTS to their foods.

You may want to consider a Non Grain food as previously suggested. Maybe Nature's Variety.

Here are some natural items you can use for yeast infections and may be able to avoid a vet bill!
~Ears:
*The simplest thing you can start with, is wiping out the dogs’ ears, at least 2/3 times per day, with Apple Cider Vinegar (I’ll refer to it as ACV) Get some Organic AVC from the health food store when you get a chance but use what you have in the house now.

*Witch Hazel is another great ear wash. It’s purchased from a drug store or health food store. You can also do a rotation of both ACV and Witch Hazel.

*Calendula (non-alcohol): Calendula (made from the Marigold Flower) is an excellent antifungal with healing properties for all types of skin issues, including hot spots, and yeasty ears. Medical herbalists refer to it as nature’s miracle skin healer! Wipe out ears 2 times daily. Purchased from a health food store.

* This is an herbal made from flowers. Ear Dr.? - Remedy to Help Promote Clean Healthy Ears on Cats & Dogs

*Coconut Oil: Purchase USDA Certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil – raw/cold pressed (should also state Non GMO & without Hexane!) from a health food store.
-Wipe out ears using a clean cloth with coconut oil on it.
-Add 1 tsp. of organic coconut oil for every 20 pounds of body weight to your dogs’ food. Besides promoting a good balance of organisms in the intestines, it has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral properties.

Hope this helps!
Moms :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No ear infection!!! :) just got back from the vets. Just an extremely over reacting puppy. Ugh.. She's terrible. The downfall of being hand reared I suppose. Time to get desensitising.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Use zymox or alcohol and vinegar to clean the ears every couple weeks. That should eliminate ear infection fears. When they are young the ear is small and full of fold so you have to take extra care.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts