German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 10 week puppy and his left ear always goes up and down and when it does go up it is straight. However is right ear only goes up sometimes but when it does go up the tip is still floppy. I understand that at the teething phase ears go up and down but does the tip being floppy for only his right ear mean that his right ear is weak?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
No. It's absolutely normal. Forget the ears and spend more time working on your relationship with the puppy! That's what matters...

·
Registered
430 Posts
One or both ears can go up and down thru the first few months. After teeth settle in, things usually revert to upright ears. My GS never had this. She was straight up from her 6 week pictures onward - which means absolutely nothing. Her littermate sister had full drop ears at 11 weeks, and perfect ears by 3 months. Some lines will retain a forward ear roll at the tip even when ears have finally settled in upright position. (kinda nice looking) What I would keep an eye out for is persistent deciduous (puppy) teeth when the adult teeth come in. I had one pup that retained one long enough to push a lower molar into malocclusion. Not all that common that I'm aware of, but a problem if they occur.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts