German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Ares !
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you guys do for ear cleaning? + how to get dog used to ear touching?

I'm currently using Dr. Gold's Ear therapy for my boy's ear. A couple of drops and rub it in almost every month.
However, It's quite a hassle to get the drops into his ear because he's really particular with his ears (he doesn't like them to get messed with and the mix of uncomfortable drops in his ear make it worse). I try and make the experience as rewarding as I can (treats after I rub his ears). How do I get him used to me touching his ear?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I taught arthur "ear" or "Poke" they mean the same thing to him. I started with his feet. "Poke" I would poke his leg and treat. Then kept going until I could hold and rub his leg for however long. Did the same to his nose. Just so he understood what Poke means without being touched on the sensitive area. And then again for the ear. "Poke, ears", quickly touch, back off and treat. Kept going until I could hold my finger there. Then moved to being able to hold, rub, and open it. He still backs off when I put his cleaner in, but quickly comes back. Makes it a lot easier, he was pretty touchy with the inside of his ears before and doesn't care much now.

·
Registered
471 Posts
We do pretty eyes and pretty ears. first, a face wipe withe a damp washcloth. Then clean out the corners of his eyes with Bauch& Lomb eye wash on a folded tissue. then ear cleaner on a cotton ball. finally a light brushing of the hair around his face. Pretty dog then gets a cookie. WE enjoy it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We do pretty eyes and pretty ears. first, a face wipe withe a damp washcloth. Then clean out the corners of his eyes with Bauch& Lomb eye wash on a folded tissue. then ear cleaner on a cotton ball. finally a light brushing of the hair around his face. Pretty dog then gets a cookie. WE enjoy it.
Wow!
He gets the total spa treatment :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
Why are you cleaning his ears so often? I would think a visit to the vet might be a good idea if the ears are getting that gunky in a day's time.

·
Registered
Ares !
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you cleaning his ears so often? I would think a visit to the vet might be a good idea if the ears are getting that gunky in a day's time.
Sorry, I had meant almost every month! I don't put them in every day, maybe once or twice a month :) My bad! Let me edit the post now 😄

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Sorry, I had meant almost every month! I don't put them in every day, maybe once or twice a month :) My bad! Let me edit the post now 😄
Other then when we were discovering her allergies, I have never cleaned my dogs ears. While I am loving on her every day I smell around her ears and mouth, any bad odor warrants further inspection. Or if I notice redness or dirt. Usually just a make up remover pad wrapped around my finger deals with any dirt. When I had to use ear wash I just soaked the pads rather then squirting stuff in her ears.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Zymox ear cleanser. It's painless. You squirt it in, massage, and let them shake it out. I'm also a big fan of Zymox Otic treatment for dogs with recurring issues.

Some ear cleaners sting a bit due to the alcohol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts