German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 75lb GS has, from what I can tell, ear infection. I did some research and found that there is this ear cleaning solution that can totally eliminate ear infection and clean it up. The problem is, won't let me squirt it in to his ears. He won't even let me get close to them. What I do first is I tire him out by throwing a ball for him until his totally out of it. This doesn't help anymore. I'm out of ideas, I have enough. He moves so much as if I'm cutting him and he started nibble at my hand. Any ideas?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I’ve never heard of an ear cleaning solution clearing up an infected ear. Care to share what product you’re using? My Husky/GSD gets frequent ear infections. We were given a ear cleaning solution to clear the wax buildup before using the medicated antibiotic drops. So 3 days with the cleanser and then 10 with the ear drops. And to use the ear cleanser weekly to help keep his ears clean and clear so if another infection came, it would be easier to go straight to the antibiotic drops.

Honestly, not going to lie, I’d put him in a headlock to clean his ears and put the drops in. He eventually figured out the more of a fight he put up, the longer it took to get it done and finally just gave in. Now he lays down for me when he see solution or drops coming. Lets me do one ear, the flips over so I can do the other.

What makes you think he has an ear infection? Has he had them before? I would recommend a vet visit. They will swab the ear to find out what kind of infection it is so they can provide the right kind of antibiotic to treat it. Not all work for all things.

·
Registered
319 Posts
We use this for our German Shepherd:

https://www.chewy.com/zymox-otic-pet-ear-treatment/dp/54785

It works great. Works better than anything else we have tried.

Giving the dog a treat after every ear cleaning session really seems to help them tolerate it better as they know they will get a goodie when it's done.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
My 75lb GS has, from what I can tell, ear infection. I did some research and found that there is this ear cleaning solution that can totally eliminate ear infection and clean it up. The problem is, won't let me squirt it in to his ears. He won't even let me get close to them. What I do first is I tire him out by throwing a ball for him until his totally out of it. This doesn't help anymore. I'm out of ideas, I have enough. He moves so much as if I'm cutting him and he started nibble at my hand. Any ideas?
I use the one wolfebergk9 posted, but yours seems to have good reviews and is cheaper, so wht not!?

On getting the drops in the ears there is no "easy" answer. Just do it, with as little fanfare as possible. It's like any other medical procedure, necessary, not common, but needed and non-optional. Just do it! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Epi Otic Advanced is the cleaner I use. Works well.

The Zymox can clear up some things too.

For the cleaning part, you have to have a leash on the dog way before you get the cleaner so they can't run when they see it coming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It is crucial that you warm the solution before squirting in the ear. Dogs ears are very sensitive and once you squirt cold (room temperature) in the ear they will never let you do it again!

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
It is crucial that you warm the solution before squirting in the ear. Dogs ears are very sensitive and once you squirt cold (room temperature) in the ear they will never let you do it again!
I don’t squirt the solution into their ears. I’ve found the shake it out immediately when I tried that. I pour some into a dish, and soak cotton balls in them. Then while cleaning I can slowly squeeze the solution out of the cotton balls to run further into their ears. This has helped so so much! The only thing I put directly into crios’s ears is the antibiotic drops. But those are thick, and drops slowly, so he doesn’t mind it.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Same problem here.
What I do is get a large cotton cosmetic pad and saturate it with the solution, the carefully twist it into a cone shape and drop it in (Those solutions can get on the ear hairs and make a mess) and give him a good ear massage. Then take out the pad.
A treat at the end helps, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts