German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I noticed a bunch of bugs on my dogs ears and when I shooed them off they had left red marks as if they were biting him. The bugs have been out in full summer force lately. Grass bugs, June bugs mosquitos etc...I noticed he kept flicking his ears and it looked like grass bugs were bothering him from afar. But these don’t look like grass bugs. We use bravecto for flea and ticks. These things have been biting me while we’re outside too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Blackfly?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blackfly?
The body does resemble the shape of a very small fly. In all my years here I’ve never had an issue with these things or even knew they existed. Strange.

·
Super Moderator
7,226 Posts
The body does resemble the shape of a very small fly. In all my years here I’ve never had an issue with these things or even knew they existed. Strange.

Where are you? I’m in the Bay Area (east bay) and have not come across these?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m in yuba county. @Fodder ;

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
no clue what kind of bugs they are...but dogs can get "flystrike" - ears eaten up by bugs, scabby and end up with bald tips - shaking heads constantly due to irritation can even in extreme cases cause hemotomas ....I would advise you to get some SWAT - a hot pink goo horse fly repellant and thinly coat the ear edges and tips when he is outside. Farm supply store, Amazon, mail order that does horse stuff...like Jeffers pet

Lee

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
There is also an oinment called VIP that I got from my vet a couple years ago. I have had 2 shepherds who were almost never bitten. But my female shepherd would just get chewed up. We will all be out together and they would just get her.

This stuff works great. It is clear and you just smear it in the ears and the gnats will leave them alone.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here the county keeps track of bugs watching for ones harmful to agriculture. You might check with them. In the meantime your vet probably knows. You cannot be the first (!).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no clue what kind of bugs they are...but dogs can get "flystrike" - ears eaten up by bugs, scabby and end up with bald tips - shaking heads constantly due to irritation can even in extreme cases cause hemotomas ....I would advise you to get some SWAT - a hot pink goo horse fly repellant and thinly coat the ear edges and tips when he is outside. Farm supply store, Amazon, mail order that does horse stuff...like Jeffers pet

Lee
Thanks I will look into that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
241 Posts
No idea why I’m just now noticing them this summer. My ankles are all bit up from those suckers.

Could also be something new just moving in? We just got out first ticks in the last few years as they are moving north....hate those things

1 - 13 of 13 Posts