German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very serious question regarding electronic fencing.

I am at a fork in the road. The property that I live on backs up to the woods and is very natural the front and sides and subdivision-ish. There are by laws that state we can't fence higher then 48" and there really isn't a nice way to fence....we would have to a lot of clearing and we like half of the back left natural.

I have figured out a way to fence with vinyl on front and sides and using a black coat link in the back where the woods are. The fencing isn't to keep Jake IN, as he will never be left outside alone, but rather a way to have a perimeter for him to understand. I want to be able to play with him, throw balls and garden knowing he is staying on OUR property. To make matters worse we just learned our neighbors HATE dogs so you can imagine their thoughts on a GSD.

Like I said I can only go 48'' and cost is around 6 to 7k for fencing a very small area, when the fencing salesman came to walk the yard he is the one who really suggested a good E fence. He doesn't even sell them but is a dog owner and likes them and thinks it is a way better fit.

Do you have an E fence? Pro and cons???????

I just don't know what to do and I would like to have something done in a few weeks and I am looking for some good advice.
Thanks....

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
The electric fences work great as long as you have a dog who doesn't like the shock. Our first shepherd stayed well within the boundries. Harley liked the buzz apparently, he'd run through it and not even flinch. Never tried it with Annie she'd have been traumatized for life. (drama queen)

Both dogs are now trained to stay in the front yard with no fences, but we did build a 3 rail fence in the backyard, it's just about 5' high. (we have 5 acres, only did a smaller area) We used pre-treated lumber and posts and stapled wire fencing to the back. You can't see the wire from even a short distance, it blends in with the woods behind the fence. The cost of the wood, wire fencing and posthole digger was around 2400.00.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a Invisible Fence brand E Fence and it works great for my dog... The biggest part with an E Fence is to train the dog the right way... When I had it installed I had I.F send a trainer out a few times so I could get the jist of it and then trained Ginger the rest of the way myself. She never tests the fence, I don't think I have had her collar on her for the past 6 months and she has had zero issues. She did run through one time, but took the shock to come back in and has never ran thru since.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
She never tests the fence, I don't think I have had her collar on her for the past 6 months and she has had zero issues. She did run through one time, but took the shock to come back in and has never ran thru since.
That how it was with our first shepherd, eventually we just shut the fence off. Actually, I think we shut it off during a thunderstorm and then 2 months later remembered we hadn't turned it back on. :)
The time she ran through it I felt horrible because I called her back. I forgot she'd get a shock coming back in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That how it was with our first shepherd, eventually we just shut the fence off. Actually, I think we shut it off during a thunderstorm and then 2 months later remembered we hadn't turned it back on. :)
The time she ran through it I felt horrible because I called her back. I forgot she'd get a shock coming back in.

Well they do need to learn that if you leave, you will get a ZIP when you come back in...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any brand better then another?

How hard is it to train them? Does it take months? Sorry for so many odd questions, as I just want to make the right investment the first time.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
We have the Invisible Fence brand and had them professionally install it. We would have to literally take down 8-9 HUGE trees for a privacy fence and opted for the IF. We have a large piece of property and ours backs 50+acres of protected wetlands (we're in the sticks!).

When we brought our little guy home at 8 weeks we already knew how we were going to train him with yard boundries. We NEVER let him cross into our neighbors yard, even on leash or if we took him for a walk it's ALWAYS down the driveway-never through the yard. By doing this he learned his boundries quick-which made training him with the IF much easier. We were doing this in preperation for the IF. We had it installed when he was 4.5 months old. It's a training device, not a replacement for a physical barrier like a privacy or chainlink fence. We worked with him everyday with the boundries on leash and slowly went from there. He respects the boundries, but the rule is he's NEVER aloud outside alone-but we also spend alot of time outdoors.

His collar setting is set pretty low, but I know some people who have to always have their adjusted to a higher setting-I think most of those are training issues, not the fencing or collar.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Courtney,
Thank you for the info....our land backs up to the woods, a pond and then farm land. Jake is 7 months old and he is never outside with out a leash and because our neighbor hates dogs we always stay away from that side of our property.

I assume I F is going to run me about 2k? Were they helpful in training?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Another option to try, and you might be able to get Doc in on this one is a normal remote collar like a Dogtra, or tiptronics (sp?). You said you never would have him outside without you, so with you controlling him and having control over the level and when he gets shocked, there would be no shock upon reentry, if he left. And I don't like the idea that if something came in that threaten his or your safety, that he would be shocked if either one needed to escape. (With this I am referring to wild animals or weirdos). The collars would only run you a few hundred max.

Something to consider.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
How hard is it to train them? Does it take months? Sorry for so many odd questions, as I just want to make the right investment the first time.
It's pretty simple and all the fences I've ever seen come with a video to watch. Shouldn't take more than 5 days if that, depending on how often you work with them.

Basically you'll be putting small flags about 3' away from the fence line and first teaching him to stop at the flags.
Then you set the collar on beep. When he gets near the flags he'll hear a beep. (the collar gives a warning beep before they reach the shock line) You're still teaching him he can't go past the flags but he'll associate the no pass line with the beep.
Final step, turn the collar on shock. He'll here the beep and if he goes further, he'll get a shock.

There's a little more too it, like when to put the collar on, when to use the leash during training etc. but that's the general idea. First you teach them the parameters. If he crosses those invisible lines, he gets a shock.

If you do it right they're really trained to stay within those boundries before you ever turn the shock part on. The shock is just a reminder that they've gone a little too far when they forget.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, great...this leads into yet ANOTHER question. We are about to start tracking and i think we will be using flags so us the handlers know where the track is....
Is this going to be a problem, doesn't sound like it because with the E fence the flags may only be used a few times for a visual to help him with the beeps? Am I correct or should I have the my tracks marked a different way on Sunday. It will be our first time tracking.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had to install a live stock fence with one of my dogs finally. He was forever either digging or gnawing out of the 6ft cedar fence we had up. After bailing him out of animal control was the last offense. I live in cattle country and know lots of folks with electric hot wire fence. I borrowed a one mile radius fence charger from a friend, installed two strands of wire one about 8 inches and another about 18 inches off the ground. That was the last time my animal either dug or beavered his way out .... :D

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Ok, great...this leads into yet ANOTHER question. We are about to start tracking and i think we will be using flags so us the handlers know where the track is....
Is this going to be a problem, doesn't sound like it because with the E fence the flags may only be used a few times for a visual to help him with the beeps? Am I correct or should I have the my tracks marked a different way on Sunday. It will be our first time tracking.
No idea, but you can always pull the flags off the wire stakes and use something else for the fence. It's just a visual reminder. Tie on a rag, poke rubber dukes on the stakes etc. You only keep the flags up until the dog "gets it".

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Courtney,
Thank you for the info....our land backs up to the woods, a pond and then farm land. Jake is 7 months old and he is never outside with out a leash and because our neighbor hates dogs we always stay away from that side of our property.

I assume I F is going to run me about 2k? Were they helpful in training?
Ours was around $1400. We opted for the lower package that does not include the battery back-up and the extra training sessions. Our package came with 3 training sessions. I thought the training was ok, but if you really know your dog and are on top of training-the training seems very generic. We also worked a deal where we got the new micro collar for no additional cost.

Like GSDSunshine there are negatives to the IF that need to be weighed.
For us-it's been really good.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Oh-I wanted to add your concern with the flags. I really think those are more for us so we know where the boundries are, trust me your dog will know very quickly.

We only had ours up for like 3 days-they were annoying and I threw them away.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Cons of an e-fence:
Possible some dogs will go through it - either don't care or the reward on the other side is bigger than the negative
Other animals and people can easily come in
When people are walking by the dog can appear unrestrained and more dangerous...

Not sure if there are others but I know there are those who do not like/use them.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'd prefer a fence but the bylaws here state only a 48" and the lay of our land makes it almost impossible to do a fence that looks good and for 6 or 7k it would be a small area, where for 2k I may be able to have something to teach Jake where he may go and spend an extra 1k on some "living fence so my neighbor won't have to see us since he HATES dogs. I have someone coming out late Wednesday afternoon to walk the property and tell us how much.....I am not sold on it......but I figured I would look into it as a viable option.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I decided to go with Invisible Fence. They are coming out Thursday for the install. The person for my area seemed pretty nice, the very first thing he wanted to do is meet Jake and play with him and get to know him a little. He even asked me to put Jake on a leash and walk the yard. I took that as a good sign. Is there anything special I should know or tell him as we begin training with the flags? He explained at first the collar will beep and we train using the beep. He is the installer as well as the trainer, I am new to the e fence as I have always had a structural fence in previous homes.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'd prefer a fence but the bylaws here state only a 48" and the lay of our land makes it almost impossible to do a fence that looks good and for 6 or 7k it would be a small area, where for 2k I may be able to have something to teach Jake where he may go and spend an extra 1k on some "living fence so my neighbor won't have to see us since he HATES dogs. I have someone coming out late Wednesday afternoon to walk the property and tell us how much.....I am not sold on it......but I figured I would look into it as a viable option.
Have you thought of planting hedges in front of the 48" fence? That's how my parents got around it. They have a 6ft fence but are on a hill so not much privacy. If you stagger the trees they will be pretty dense. If you buy them in bulk you can get them for $2.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The efence is in and right now I am training Jake to walk to the flags, hear the beeps and move away. He isn't getting it at all, as we approach the flags and the collar beeps I say o no and walk quickly away with him, well he is so interested in chasing me, biting a stick or ANYTHING else he is missing the whole exercise. Please any suggestions, the trainer comes back first thing Monday morning to turn it "on".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts