German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an e fence for my 2 dogs. Ruben (10 yr old newfie cross) has never gone through it. I have forgotten to put the collar on him sometimes and he just stays.

Stella, 21 month GSD has gone through it twice when she was first learning. She tends to charge at the property line at certain things (we are working on this) but respects the e fence. She has gotten zapped a few times when she wandered a bit too close. Anyhow, today she was in the corner of the yard barking at my neighbor's dogs. I was thinking how close she seemed to be to the line....in fact, I was thinking all day today that she sure was very close. My dh went over and tested her collar....it was dead. I just charged it not very long ago. My other dog's collar was dead too. Dh is looking into fixing this.

Anyhow, I was very impressed (and fortunate) that Stella did not leave the property. Even when the cat across the street came along. I guess she knows the boundaries of her yard. She obviously was not getting a warning beep, so she must just know her territory.

But now that I know we are having a malfunction, she will not be loose in the yard until we fix this. I don't want to push my luck. But just wanted to give kudos to my little girl for staying on the property! I really always thought she would run if she could.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
What sort do you have? Ours have non chargeable batteries but they have a 2 year life span so you don't have to worry about them at all (well for 2 years anyway).
I have become very slack with our collars.....they wear them a couple times a week if they are lucky.....they never try to jump out.....we live on a farm though with no neighbors so if they did get out it wouldn't matter....if I was in town I probably wouldn't be so slack ;):)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have Inotek with rechargeable batteries. Stella's collar is on the charger but so far it still isn't working. Ugh. I am not going to be happy in the morning if I can't just let her out to do her business...:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts