German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Thank you! I actually noticed that too about recall, and I never like the idea of calling them when it's time to go, so I usually try reward them for coming first, then say "break's over," and he's knows we're done. But even as we go up the hill I let him play around until we get near the road. I work with him off leash %100 of the time when I am in our yard. As soon as I am off our yard the leash goes on, because we have millions of badly-behaved dogs in our neighborhood.

Thank you for the help!
Long lines are great but can be dangerous to you. I grew up with horses so I learned how to be attached to a strong animal by 30ft line and not get hurt.

Watch your feet. They can wrap you up and take you out.

Never wrap it around your hand. I think it is better to let go than to get badly hurt trying to hang on. If there is a lot of slack and your dog bolts, you'll get whipped right off your feet if you don't let go.

I think the two safest ways to use a long line are: in an open area where it isn't too terribly dangerous to just let go if for instance your dog bolts at a squirrel and there is enough slack that you are gonna get hurt.

Or let the line drag out behind you and hold it in the middle and feed it out and back in so there isn't so much slack between you and the dog. I hope I am explaining that in a way that makes sense. You may want gloves

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Long lines are great but can be dangerous to you. I grew up with horses so I learned how to be attached to a strong animal by 30ft line and not get hurt.

Watch your feet. They can wrap you up and take you out.

Never wrap it around your hand. I think it is better to let go than to get badly hurt trying to hang on. If there is a lot of slack and your dog bolts, you'll get whipped right off your feet if you don't let go.

I think the two safest ways to use a long line are: in an open area where it isn't too terribly dangerous to just let go if for instance your dog bolts at a squirrel and there is enough slack that you are gonna get hurt.

Or let the line drag out behind you and hold it in the middle and feed it out and back in so there isn't so much slack between you and the dog. I hope I am explaining that in a way that makes sense. You may want gloves
You are. Thanks. I've tried the last paragraph mainly, but I couldn't pull it in when Kias came before it got all tangled. I only tried a couple of times, though. I'm gonna keep trying. Oh, and I have a huge yard that is mainly a flat, open valley with one tree on the side, a garden and hills surrounding every side. Perfect training grounds.

About the long line: I was walking a huge Dane mix with a flexi, and I started running not knowing how fast he was. He bolted after me, overtook me, ran to the end of the twenty foot line, and sent me flying into the dirt headfirst before I could stop him, which was in like five seconds. I pay really good attention to him now whenever we run!

That was a rabbit trail. Anyway, thanks everyone for the help and I will take your suggestions for sure. I'll may start a thread later to ask you all to brief the trainer I find. I'm going to look hard for someone.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ecollar is a great tool and to me it's not about whether you did your other basic training right or not. There are so many good use for it. If you're thoughtful and careful to follow instructions online, you can do it. Key is carefully understanding what's being taught so that you know how to do the same on your own dog, absent of a trainer.

I use the Educator brand (ET-400) and recommend it.

I used this video to guide me. It explains the why and how and what to watch for. It gives you the reasons and the pitfalls - which are very important to understand so that you use it properly and can avoid the pitfalls that I seen in many who just slaps it on and go. The Electric Collar with Michael Ellis

After learning thru the video and successfully implemented on my dog without a trainer, I learned a slightly different and much faster way from a live trainer for another dog. I prefer the video method because it helps me process and monitor better at my pace but the trainer was very proficient in what she does so she didn't need to take it as slow as me. Both ways work but the slower way in my opinion is easier for a beginner to learn.

Wish you much success with your pup!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I didn't read thru all the postings but if your main issue is recall there are also online training videos you can pay for that can help a ton. For great foundational training, I followed the Michael Ellis videos and it helped me a ton. My trainer (before we even met up), suggested I watch it repeatedly too (this is after I already did) and it made the lessons progress much faster/easier. Absent of a live trainer, the online videos have been of tremendous help to me and very easy to follow and understand. Also being a puppy still, it's likely too young to focus on ecollar and likely should be focusing on the foundations. Bonding and consistent reinforcement, teaching it how to engage with you rather than getting distracted will all help with recall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey,
I know Kias isn't ready for an e-collar, and won't be for a long time. I understand that. I am wanting to get some recommendations on e-collars to save up for. I don't have a solid flow of money coming in, so if I wan't to get a good one, which I do, I need to start saving up now even if he doesn't start using it for another year. I want something in the range of $100-200. I guess I could deal with $250, but I'm hoping to get something medium-small in expense but still good. Here's one I saw:

Are there any others that I can view that I know would be good? I do not know anything about e-collars in the least, except for how it works. I'd love both e-collar recommendations and e-collar trainer recommendations. Anyway, any replies would be great, negative or positive.
GSDs are VERY SMART and they WANT to be trained. You definitely do not need an E-Collar with GSDs. Just set your mind on the fact that for one month you'll have to do 15-30 minutes of training every day. Just one month. After that, you'll reinforce what you've taught weekly for the next couple of months. DONE. You're set! And your dog will be a delight to you, everyone it meets, and really happy. You'll be rewarded with a lifetime of well-behaved, protection and fun!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I didn't read thru all the postings but if your main issue is recall there are also online training videos you can pay for that can help a ton. For great foundational training, I followed the Michael Ellis videos and it helped me a ton. My trainer (before we even met up), suggested I watch it repeatedly too (this is after I already did) and it made the lessons progress much faster/easier. Absent of a live trainer, the online videos have been of tremendous help to me and very easy to follow and understand. Also being a puppy still, it's likely too young to focus on ecollar and likely should be focusing on the foundations. Bonding and consistent reinforcement, teaching it how to engage with you rather than getting distracted will all help with recall.
Thanks for the info. My problem wasn't actually recall. He's pretty good for a 5 month old right now, and i don't expect any better. I just was expecting that Kias would need it as he got older. I thought (once upon a time) that most trainers and owners used e-collars, but now i know that you don't really have to, it's an option. Anyway, thanks for the help. Watching repeatedly is a good idea. Thanks. :D

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
GSDs are VERY SMART and they WANT to be trained. You definitely do not need an E-Collar with GSDs. Just set your mind on the fact that for one month you'll have to do 15-30 minutes of training every day. Just one month. After that, you'll reinforce what you've taught weekly for the next couple of months. DONE. You're set! And your dog will be a delight to you, everyone it meets, and really happy. You'll be rewarded with a lifetime of well-behaved, protection and fun!
Thanks. I do 15-30 minutes of training every day now I can since he's come, which as been almost 4 months.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts