German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I know Kias isn't ready for an e-collar, and won't be for a long time. I understand that. I am wanting to get some recommendations on e-collars to save up for. I don't have a solid flow of money coming in, so if I wan't to get a good one, which I do, I need to start saving up now even if he doesn't start using it for another year. I want something in the range of $100-200. I guess I could deal with $250, but I'm hoping to get something medium-small in expense but still good. Here's one I saw:

Are there any others that I can view that I know would be good? I do not know anything about e-collars in the least, except for how it works. I'd love both e-collar recommendations and e-collar trainer recommendations. Anyway, any replies would be great, negative or positive.

·
Registered
30,962 Posts
I gave you recommendations for trainers in your area. I suggest you have your parents call them to help you with training. If you do the foundation training correctly, you may not even need an e-collar.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I gave you recommendations for trainers in your area. I suggest you have your parents call them to help you with training. If you do the foundation training correctly, you may not even need an e-collar.
Agree with Jax. I have another dog that is not a gsd that is e collar trained. Haven’t needed one with my gsd up to this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for responding Jax08. I thought you'ed dumped me for good.
I would love to be able to do that, but the driving would be too much for us. Sadly, we are just too busy and there is no way we could do that. Hopefully we would be able to by March or something, but now it is impossible. I really didn't want to have to e-collar, but if we can't find a trainer that we can get to conveniently I may have to resort to it, so I'm earning up for it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope I don't need it, but I'm expecting the worse. Sounds like the mini educator is pretty good. What brand?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for responding Jax08. I thought you'ed dumped me for good.
I would love to be able to do that, but the driving would be too much for us. Sadly, we are just too busy and there is no way we could do that. Hopefully we would be able to by March or something, but now it is impossible. I really didn't want to have to e-collar, but if we can't find a trainer that we can get to conveniently I may have to resort to it, so I'm earning up for it.
See...this is why I think you should stay away from the e collar. It doesn’t train your dog.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See...this is why I think you should stay away from the e collar. It doesn’t train your dog.

No, I didn't mean to say it trains my dog, I just meant to say that it will help me with things that I would need a trainer to help with otherwise. Example: a good trainer can perfect off leash and recall without an e-collar. I don't have the capacity or knowledge to do that, and probably never will unless I get that trainer.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still going to do a ton of studying, so I may sound naive, but this is what the thread is for: if I am thinking of this the wrong way, tell me why please. I want to know how I can do it without the e collar. By the way, online trainers are out of the question. My dad will not buy CDS or any online training courses. I need in person if I found someone.

·
Registered
30,962 Posts
Is this your family's first dog or first German Shepherd?

NO, an ecollar will not "help me with things that I would need a trainer to help with otherwise " It is a tool, not a replacement for a trainer.

I'm baffled as to why your parents bought a dog, handed him off to a 13 yr old, with no means to train him. I think you should set aside the thought of an ecollar for now and worry more about the foundation training, that again, I gave you recommendations within an hour of where you live and also Dave Kroyer's site that is only $10/mth. I don't buy the excuse that they don't have time to get to a trainer when you have plenty of time to be on here.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is this your family's first dog or first German Shepherd?

NO, an ecollar will not "help me with things that I would need a trainer to help with otherwise " It is a tool, not a replacement for a trainer.

I'm baffled as to why your parents bought a dog, handed him off to a 13 yr old, with no means to train him. I think you should set aside the thought of an ecollar for now and worry more about the foundation training, that again, I gave you recommendations within an hour of where you live and also Dave Kroyer's site that is only $10/mth. I don't buy the excuse that they don't have time to get to a trainer when you have plenty of time to be on here.
Then what is a replacement for a trainer?

Don't buy ti then, Jax. I said it and it's true. My family is a family of six with one car. My dad, the manager of two businesses, drives two hours back and forth from work every day, an hour a way. He goes at 9 5 days a week and doesn't get back till three or even later. THen there are music lessons, art lessons, and a meeting every Wednesday. Have you bought it now?

My parents didn't hand me off the dog. My mom didn't really want it in the first place. My dad wanted one, but with a sudden change in job and a really busy schedule, I am left with Kias's responsibilities, and I am willing to make it work. I promised my dad I would work with him, I promised him. i'm not giving up because he is not able to help. I really just need help, not baffled responses.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Please somebody tell me? What should I do? Oh, I am doing really good with foundation training. I am working with him all the time, I've watched so many movies, asked you all, done the studying and work. I am working really hard, I just need answers.

·
Registered
305 Posts
In this statement, I am not giving my opinion of e-collar one way or the other. And there are people on this thread with more experience than me. But as I understand it, there are two applications of an e-collar.

1) Complete avoidance training. Shock to avoid an action that one can’t train out. Chasing cats, cars, eating pop. I believe even invisible fences would fall in this category.

2) Training tool to perfect already trained behaviors. This tool is used very exactly and with skilled users.

I feel like using e-collar for recall falls into the second category.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
No, I didn't mean to say it trains my dog, I just meant to say that it will help me with things that I would need a trainer to help with otherwise. Example: a good trainer can perfect off leash and recall without an e-collar. I don't have the capacity or knowledge to do that, and probably never will unless I get that trainer.
I 100% don't agree with this as it seems to suggest an e collar is a substitute for a trainer.

What I think you should save for is training appointments. Get someone who will come to you. Your money will be much better and safer spent, and you will learn much more.

·
Registered
30,962 Posts
There is NO replacement for a trainer. Period. Again, I have given you recommendations.

And again, is this your family's first dog and/or first German Shepherd?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts