German Shepherds Forum banner

E Collar

983 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Levi T 
#1 ·
I recently got an E Collar from chewy, Petrainer 998DBB Remote Controlled Dog Training Collar System

Ordered it for price, and reviews.

My dog has a bad probably of chasing cars, and im trying to fix it along with work on off leash.

I dont want to hurt him by no means, but im already hitting him at 60 with little to no response, prongs are on the bottom of his neck 3/4 long prongs attached, and I have it tight enough where I can fit one finger on the back of his neck.

I need help in general with training him with this collar.

#2 ·
If you are going to use an e collar then Use a good one. I would never use the pet trainer one after using a quality e collar.

I use and recommend the mini educator. Expensive but well worth it.

Also if you don’t know how to use an e collar then don’t use one without the help of a professional dog trainer. The dog has to be conditioned to the collar before using it for a correction. This is doing more harm than good.

#3 ·
To the OP -- Under what conditions does your dog chase cars? By this I mean are you in a city and have a problem when you try to walk your dog or are you in the country and cars are fewer.

My current almost 9 yo wanted to eat every vehicle as a puppy - totally nuts, embarrassing for the handler, wacko puppy with "motor vehicles". So I started walking late at night (urban neighborhood, choice of two busy streets). Traffic was far lighter. I took pup out with a pocket full of high value treats. We worked on focus --- when a vehicle approached, we would move to a driveway, with a sit and focus on the handler dog facing away from traffic. In a bit (weeks I think, maybe months) she was able to focus on me without the super treat while a fire engine passed with lights, bells, sirens, action. The country would be a different deal because you likely would not have predictable traffic to train with.

BTW no e collar was involved, no prong, no fur saver --- just a flat collar and motivation.

#4 ·
Live in the country in a small subdivision ive tried everything else to to get him to stop, and done exactly what you said, I dont want him to chase and get hit by a car so this is what I came to as my last resort. We dont see enough cars for him to know not to chase them is the problem.

The collar isnt on full blast by no mean, I worked with him last night for 10-15 mins off leash outside down the road in a very quite spot so no distractions (he doesnt like listening to commands when outside) I had the collar on low settings, just doing simple commands to come, and to sit. I was not hitting him every time he didn't listen, but once he did listen he was given very exciting and enthusiastic thanks. After that 10-15min work out, hes attention span was starting to sway. So we stopped and headed back but on the way back up the road from our quite spot to work i would randomly make him wait, and to sit the no use of the collar a few times he didnt listen but I didnt use the collar since we were done and I just wanted to test him. And before going into the house I made him wait at the end of the drive way, told him "In" he runs to the door, and then to "sit" all commands were done perfect, so he got a nice good treat once inside.

I am trying to use this collar in the best way, in no way shape or form do I want to hurt him, but I also dont want him to get hurt from something I could have stopped. I didnt test the collar on myself before putting it on him at the same level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.